Domain Name

babybell 15:34 06 Aug 2010

Wasn't sure what section to post this in really as its not really about web design, just after some advice.

I've just purchased a Domain Name that I think could get a lot of hits. When I type it into the Yahoo search engine, I only get halfway through word 2 of my domain and it pops up as a suggestion.

Now I own the domain, what should I have on the index page. The problem is you see, although I think it sounds good, I know nothing about the market it refers to.

Could I, for example, just have one of those annoying holding pages with links to websites that DO deal with this type of market? Or is that illegal somehow?

I just want to boost its ranking and attract some hits for the time being. Not really sure what to do after that.

It was only £8 for the year so I'm not too fussed if nothing develops.

Nothing ventured and all that....

DieSse 23:24 06 Aug 2010

So you want a web site that doesn't do anything - because you think it might get a lot of hits?

But you don't have any business ideas?

Please don't do it. The web's already cluttered up enough.

Forum Editor 00:19 07 Aug 2010

There's absolutely no point in putting a site on a domain name if you aren't intending to do anything with it.

Your site will not attract traffic in any case, unless you have interesting and/or unique content which is regularly changed and updated. You say that your domain pops up as a suggestion in the Yahoo search engine, but that isn't what's happening - you will get no traffic if there's no website on the domain name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone