Does This Make Sense?

crosstrainer 11:12 16 Jun 2008

Every time we install new software, driver packages et al, we are usually confronted by the acceptance screen.

Fine, I have no problems with that at all. What does bug me is the bottom of these pages where you are invited to:

A) Accept

Or:

B) Decline

Why? You click decline, and you can't install!

interzone55 11:16 16 Jun 2008

Yes, it makes complete sense.

If you're not prepared to accept the T&C imposed by the software company you shouldn't install the software.

spuds 11:22 16 Jun 2008

I am not so much bothered about ticking the acceptance or decline box. What annoys me the most, is the way some companies require all your details for registration, then your email box gets an increase in unwanted junk mail.

barca1 11:24 16 Jun 2008

crosstrainer" i think what your trying to get accross is that if you didnt want to install it why would you be installing it..? so why does the "Decline" exsist..??? i see your point

jack 12:07 16 Jun 2008

Have you or any one else ever bother to read that legalize spiel?

I never have- it is probably full of unenforceable threat of dire consequences blah blah.

Legolas 12:26 16 Jun 2008

I understand where you are coming from on this and have thought the same in the past. I suspect it is a legal requirement and said disclaimer will cover the vendor from all blame ever for anything anywhere and at any time for evermore :)

crosstrainer 13:11 16 Jun 2008

That's right, of course you have to read and accept the agreement, but the decline option (and I can find no legal requirement for it), is totally unnecessary.

Tradition of some sort?

barca1 13:15 16 Jun 2008

jack"
i never have i am to much in a rush & cant be bothered..lazyness is the word for me..lol

interzone55 14:17 16 Jun 2008

But without a decline option, how do you indicate that you don't accept the T&C.

One day when you're bored take a look at the Windows EULA (C:\WINDOWS\i386\EULA.txt). It's 17 pages long with 5,623 words.
Now maybe somewhere in that pile for legalese there is something that takes away your rights to use your computer as you wish - for instance there may be a feature in the software that scans your PC for MP3 files and decides that certain files were obtained without permission and prevents you from playing them.

By clicking Accept you give the software permission to act on your behalf and lock a load of files - you have no recourse to legal action to force the software company to unlock the files because you agreed to the T & C.

By clicking decline the software isn't installed, so you are free to use a different software application with slightly shorter, more user friendly T & C.

By the way, don't think it's just MS that have stupidly long licence agreements, the OpenOffice 2.3 licence.txt file is 4,141 words long and Adobe Reader 8.0 licence.html is 4,900 words.

crosstrainer 15:05 16 Jun 2008

By clicking a cancel butoon!

interzone55 17:17 16 Jun 2008

Would that not be the same as a decline button?

Are you just arguing over semantics?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?