does he deserve it?

sunny staines 15:23 16 Jun 2007

click here

as far as i know there is nothing shown that he has done anything for good causes in the UK or done anything for the UK. How on earth he he get put forward and even reccommended for this knighthood. perhaps some readers in the know might be able to enlighten me.

Kate B 15:30 16 Jun 2007

He's a wonderful writer - we do still celebrate artists in this country. Sorry, ss, I think your post is rather mean-spirited.

Forum Editor 15:34 16 Jun 2007

in order to get a knighthood, it's awarded for services rendered, and in this case it's been awarded for services to literature. Kate's right, he's a wonderful writer, and he's a fascinating man when he's talking, too.

I'm in favour of his knighthood.

bremner 15:36 16 Jun 2007

Totally agree - this man has been nothing but a burden to the tax payer and in no way deserving of such an honour.

sunny staines 15:54 16 Jun 2007

has he done anything else other than write a few best sellers. one of which must have cost the Govt a few bob in protection and security at tax payers cost.

wallbash 15:56 16 Jun 2007

Im joining the mean-spirited.
Attempted to read The Satanic Verses, not easy!
Yes celebrate artists but not this one.

Forum Editor 15:56 16 Jun 2007

He was "a burden to the tax payer" because Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini of Iran decided (in 1989)that Rushdie's book 'Satanic verses' was "blasphemous against Islam." and offered a bounty to anyone who would kill him.

The UK government broke off diplomatic relations with Iran as a result, and it wasn't until 1998 that the Iran government publicly announced it would do nothing to kill Rushdie, although the original Fatwah still stands. That's because the Iranian government says a Fatwah can only be withdrawn by the person who first issued it.

If you wrote a book and a foreign state offered money to anyone who would kill you I like to think that we would all accept the "burden" of trying to save your life. It's a confirmation of the fact that we stand for artistic freedom in this country, and that the same can't be said for Islam.

sunny staines 16:15 16 Jun 2007

was he resident in the uk long enough to become a british citizen.

Forum Editor 16:17 16 Jun 2007

he has been a British citizen since birth.

Noldi 16:21 16 Jun 2007

I don’t agree with the whole system. There are a lot of people out there who do very meaningful charity work, caring and working with the less privileged members of our society, They don’t earn millions they do it because they care, And who gets honoured a footballer than can take free kicks?.
I do know of several people who have been honoured and they deserved it but I find these are to few and far between.

Noldi

Kate B 16:21 16 Jun 2007

I'm repelled by the tone of some of the posts in this thread. They're at best philistine and at worst racist.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?