Does the EULA ever run out?

Sapins 19:31 09 Jan 2006

If Microsoft withdraw their support for an OS, as with say 98SE, shouldn't we then be able to use it as we wish, e.g. install it on more than one PC, just as copyright runs out eventually.

I'm thinking of XP when Vista, or whatever it is named, comes along!

Mr Mistoffelees 19:39 09 Jan 2006

This time Google seems not to be your friend. Was no help at all and Google Answers costs money.

Forum Editor 19:46 09 Jan 2006

will still be alive and well when you and I are long gone, Sapins. It doesn't run out for another 92 years.

DieSse 22:41 09 Jan 2006

*It doesn't run out for another 92 years.*

Just another aspect of how silly some aspects of copyright law have become, and how the original concept of a *temporary monopoly* has been usurped.

It makes many aspects of the concept of *derivative works* unuseable.

Chegs ®™ 22:47 09 Jan 2006

"If Microsoft withdraw their support for an OS, as with say 98SE..." I don't know if it counts,but the 98se Updates still come from a MS site,at least they did just 48hrs ago(or has MS withdrawn support but left the old updates on their site?)

Forum Editor 23:19 09 Jan 2006

and for once I agree with DieSse when he says "how silly some aspects of copyright law have become".

American copyright duration depends on several things - whether the work was created by an individual working for himself/herself (life + 70 years), or by a team, working 'for hire' (95 years from publication, or 120 years from 'creation').

Usually, when you think of copyright duration, you think in terms of the author's lifespan, plus some bonus years. The American situation is the result of Congress repeatedly extending the bonus years in a desperate attempt to keep Micky Mouse out of the public domain. In October 1998, Congressman Sonny Bono (Yes, the singer who used to be married to Cher) was responsible for the copyright extension act which effectively stopped famous Disney characters moving into the public domain during the first decade of the 21st Century. Congressman Bono succeeding in saving the legal lives of Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, and Donald Duck for another twenty years, until 2023, 2025, 2027, and 2029, respectively, 95 years after they first appeared on film.

That's why Windows 98SE copyright has so long to go, in fact I was a few years out in my original comment - it only has 89 years left.

Mr Mistoffelees 06:15 10 Jan 2006

So will American copyright duration be extended further next time the threat of entering the public domain hangs over the heads of the aforementioned Disney characters? When will it all end?

Forum Editor 06:54 10 Jan 2006

Who knows? I think that by the time we get to 2023 Mickey will not be as important - either to the Disney corporation, or to the public, and he'll gently fade away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone