Does anyone know ?

tigertop2 17:09 25 Aug 2008

of any legal reason why England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland should not have their own National Lotteries?

There has been some debate over whether areas, other than London, are now getting a fair proportion of the National Lottery payout in view of the huge sums now being directed from the UK Lottery to the London Olympics. I expect further allocations will follow.

If individual countries within the UK had their own lottery and controlled funding grants (as well as a national lottery if that is wanted) it would allow us all to have a closer involvement on where our contributions go.

sean-278262 17:14 25 Aug 2008

But then again remember that if it was separate then the lottery would have less in the jackpot each week than it does currently. The UK is pretty poor considering we get a usual jackpot around 3million on average where as the Republic of Ireland with a population of about 1/10th of the entire UK has regular jackpots around €3-7 million.

Personally I think the London games are going to be a plus for the UK as a whole but I suppose it is a bit annoying that all the money is going down south instead of evenly spread when I look at some of the places around the country dying for funding.

By the way this is coming from someone in the very north of England.

A

m800afc 17:18 25 Aug 2008

Sadly, "England" does have its own national lottery, and as you point out a very large part of it is to fund the Olympics.
Perhaps regional lotteries may be the answer. Then of course Glasgow and Edinburgh would take the lions share of the Scottish money, and so on round each region.
We are becoming like France in many respects, there is the capital, and a very distant "rest".

tigertop2 17:25 25 Aug 2008

Astec , I note what you say but selling lottery tickets is an art which some do better than others. One of the reasons the current lottery payout is low is probably because LOTTO has been diluted by the many other options built around it, like 'daily play' etc. If small nations like the Irish Republic can build up to good sized lottery payouts so can others.
I have just been reading a Londoner's concern on another forum(Sorry FE!)about the huge increase in taxes he fears in 3 or 4 years time related to the vast expenditure. He is not alone as many others support him it seems. Of course that is a slight diversion away from my subject but it relates in that I suspect we have not seen the end of London Olympics money concerns

rdave13 17:33 25 Aug 2008

I might be wrong here but I thought the Olympic games will be spread out over the UK. Mainly in London, though, but as our Capital City suerly we cannot begrudge most of the money raised to go there? Won't be another Beijing but we can make an effort to support it.

tigertop2 17:47 25 Aug 2008

rdave13,
London is indeed the capital city --of England . Just as Cardif is the capital city of Wales and Edinburgh of Scotland and Belfast of N. Ireland.

As for spreading out the games-great in principle -but so far poor in execution. I think Scotland , for instance , has a few football games in existing stadia but not much else.

The London Olympic games per se I have no problem with--but the way it is being funded by huge handouts from a UK wide lottery, is, to my mind , grossly unfair to other areas of the UK. Hence my question --can the other counties within the UK legally set up their own lottery funds?

Forum Editor 18:18 25 Aug 2008

that break down lottery funding by country, and neither do I have figures showing where the Lottery money comes from, i.e. how much is contributed by each country or region within the UK.

There are quite a few lottery funders however, and I'm not aware that they favour any particular part of the country - they can only consider the applications that are submitted.

Obviously the Olympics will be centred in London, but then Londoners are bearing a pretty hefty chunk of the cost - the original bid public sector bill included £650 million that would come directly out of Londoners' council tax. My guess is that this figure will end up being £1 billion.

Londoners will also have to handle the problems created by the influx of visitors, the inevitable traffic problems, and the additional load on public services.

tigertop2 18:19 25 Aug 2008

fourm member

Point taken-- as regards the UK as a whole -, but your answer doesn't really help to answer my question.

erratum-in my last post for 'counties' read 'countries'

tigertop2 18:37 25 Aug 2008

FE,

I would suspect you are right that the final bill will go up. I think the point of principle regarding the Olympic lottery funding is that the finace to carry out the infrastructure was arbitrarily dictated by the government to the Lottery Fund controllers. Neither you or I or anyone else was consulted as far as I know . I suspect the same will happen again if more funds are needed. That is why I think the question of whether the individual countries within the UK can set up their own National Lotteries is worth exploring. For instance a Scottish Lottery Fund could sub the Glasgow Commonweath games in 2014.

I don't think I am going to get a clear answer on the legal side of setting up such schemes so I think I will close this thread for now and do a little digging elswhere.

Forum Editor 18:47 25 Aug 2008

All that's required for a Scottish National Lottery is an act of parliament - the Scottish parliament could do it, I think. Wales could probably do the same, as could Northern Ireland, but I don't see it happening.

As a matter of interest, I believe the Lottery fund is conducting a trial whereby people - you and I - could have a say in who gets some of the money. It's either running now, has already been run, or will run in the future; I'm afraid I don't have the time to do the research at the moment.

tigertop2 19:51 25 Aug 2008

There is one sure way to find out. I Think I know somebody who would be prepared to petition the Scottish Government to establish such a Lottery. The Scottish Parliamentary petitions system has been surprisingly effective in many ways --unlike the current Downing St version that blocks anything it does not like.

Meanwhile case closed whilst I do some chatting up of likely petitioner.

Thanks to all for the comments received

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?