Dodgy Petrol

anchor 09:31 01 Mar 2007

Has anyone bought dodgy petrol from Tesco, Morrisons, or Asda.

It seems that thousands of motorists are having problems.

click here

Al94 09:45 01 Mar 2007

I had this issue just over a year ago, co2 sensors had to be replaced at cost of £400 and the garage blamed supermarket fuel then which I was using all the time. I haven't used it since and I'm convinced my car runs better and more mpg.

jack 09:53 01 Mar 2007

Dodgy Petrol'
From what I recall from my pre retirement fore-court duty days- All the 'raw'fuel that comes from the Essex bunker actually is piped up from ESSO refinery at Fawley Southampton- the pipe line actually runs at the end of my road through the grounds of a hospital down to the Thames and thus to the bunker site. The refinery also has other pipelines in other directions, and all the distribution what ever brand comes here, but additives are dosed per tanker on site according to individual requirements.
Just a bit of useless info I guess now more then 10 years old.

The Brigadier 09:58 01 Mar 2007

Dont they say that supermarket fuel is slightly cheaper as it is less refined than other suppliers?

johndrew 09:59 01 Mar 2007

Until the recent news I`d heard nothing of this problem. Do you know if any analysis was done when you had your problem? If so have you any results?

anchor 10:06 01 Mar 2007

jack:

Yes, I understood that was the practise in the past. All petrol came form the same source.

However, from what I read in this case, a company called Greenergy, is blending 5% of ethanol into the fuel.

The suspicion is that too much may have been added, causing the exhaust pipe sensor to send information to a control unit to run less fuel to the engine.

anchor 10:08 01 Mar 2007

The Brigadier:

Perhaps the supermarket fuel costs slightly less, because it incorporates 5% ethanol.

I don`t think it is a matter of it being "less refined".

crosstrainer 11:27 01 Mar 2007

It would appear that too much ethanol has been added to certain batched of fuel (unleaded seems the main culprit) this will trash the 02 sensors, and If you are unlucky the catalytic converter too. The converter replacement can cost as much as £1000, OFT say that people who have kept their recipts could have a case against the supplier of the dodgy fuel.

robgf 11:44 01 Mar 2007

Unless one of the fuel companies admits liability, I would say that it would be hard to prove a claim.
Taking fuel samples from suspect filling stations would be pointless, as the tanks are refilled very regulary, so no trace would remain of the suspect fuel.
With no admission of liability, or physical evidence and probably no receipt (who keeps their fuel receipts?), it would be incredibly difficult to make a claim.

Starfox 11:55 01 Mar 2007

Nearly a year ago. click here

Cymro. 13:37 01 Mar 2007

These sort of stories come along from time to time.

When we have such problems we take the car to a

garage for repairs. The chances are that the garage

also sells petrol and that the local supermarket are

in direct competition to them. It is in the interest

of the garage to blame the problem on supermarket

petrol, or this just another conspiracy theory?

Every one is out to rubbish the supermarkets if

there was a problem with their petrol then it

would have been proved by now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?