Do you think you will dump Tecnology...

Z1100 15:43 21 Jun 2007

or lose trust in it as time and technology moves on and the possibilities of doing once simple, enjoyable tasks get bogged down with problems like phishing, spam, anti-this protection and that-protection.

It just seems to get bigger each year and the more intelligent the device the bigger the target it becomes. (Vista would be my point in case, the News that the key was hacked seemed to me more of a 'Boast' that it was.)

So, when will you 'roll over and give up?'

Hanx!
K.

Forum Editor 16:23 21 Jun 2007

Never.

The world is far too reliant on technology for that. No business of any size could possibly operate without technology, and in the years to come it will become increasingly difficult for anyone to lead a 'normal' life in our society without using a computer in some way on a daily basis.

The problems you mention are just that - problems - they aren't a serious reason for abandoning technology, any more than indigestion is a reason to stop eating.

anskyber 16:50 21 Jun 2007

Give up! The charm of technology is that it has a less predictable side. We are still in the early days of technology in spite of what some try to tell us.

wee eddie 17:09 21 Jun 2007

I think that we can reliably predict that, given a 50 year timespan, the PC will be dead.

However what will have replaced it. I haven't the foggiest but am prepared to make any number of rash predictions if you wish.

The first is that technology will become less, in your face, as it becomes more ubiquitous.

Legolas 18:31 21 Jun 2007

As said we are in the infancy of IT technology and as it improves it will, if it is not already, become indispensable to everyday life.

They probably had problems with the wheel when first invented but they didn't abandon it because of its possibilities, IT is the same it can only get better.

Forum Editor 18:43 21 Jun 2007

they were really just glorified calculating machines, used for payrolls, stock control, electronic ledger-keeping, and statistical analysis. We didn't see them for what they would, and have become - sophisticated communication devices. Back then we had no idea that one day there would be something the size of a briefcase that would be hundreds of times more powerful than the giant mainframes we tended so reverently, or that we would use these devices to do so many wonderful things.

Most home computers are used primarily for communicating in one way or another, be it email, internet browsing, or creating next month's edition of the Purple-crested Andalusian ferret breeders society newsletter. Over 65% of all UK homes now have at least one computer, and 55% of all homes are connected to the internet. Late in 2005 the UK surpassed America in the league table of percentage of homes with a broadband connection.

We're addicted to our computers and the internet, and we're not going to give them up because of a bit of spam and a few sad hackers.

Bingalau 20:45 21 Jun 2007

I remember a CPO in the Royal Navy telling me to get into "Electronics" because it was The Future. I think he was in RADAR or some such thing. Of course I had no chance of changing to anything as I was just on my way abroad for "Two and a Half Years Before The Mast" (Good picture that). That must have been well before the modern computer too in 1952. He was giving me good advice but it was another 50 odd years before I got my hands on one. I would love to be here in fifty years time to see the progress made. Maybe you will all be flying our own little airplanes about, because there will certainly be no room on the roads. They in turn will have to be computer controlled. Or maybe it will really be a case of "Beam me up, Wee Eddie"

robgf 02:56 22 Jun 2007

The home use of computers is probably just a fad, although there are a lot of enthusiasts like us lot. I also know a lot of friends and neighbours, who soon got tired of their new toy and it just sits up the corner of the room getting dusty.

Business use is a different thing and computers are indispensable in some areas. I would certainly expect to see office workers almost completely replaced within twenty years.
It has already happened in manufacturing and is underway in warehousing. When performing repairs/maintenance, I'm often the only person in a massive building. Just me and the rats (worrying but true).

The company that does my companies wages, has reduced it's work force from around fifty, to four, over the last ten years, it's all automated.

And I recently visited a firm that had a completely automated internet sales system, with orders placed on the internet and one packer in the warehouse to despatch them.
The few office staff, were there to handle verbal orders and chatting to the boss, he said he intended to let them go through natural wastage and switch entirely to internet ordering, as it was much cheaper.

I don't think computers will disappear, they will get better, possibly self repairing systems, that only need a few self employed IT workers to maintain them occasionally.

Quickbeam 08:04 22 Jun 2007

anything. Just like Pandora's Box, when you've got it... make good use of it.

madgamer234 08:52 22 Jun 2007

the average person,especially in the future,wants 'selfish' things,like entertainment.

they will always want music,films,games and ether style person to person conversation and interaction.i'm sure in the future one of these persons will be in a virtual form for many,therefore not real.

so i agree with robgf when he says that home use of computers is probably just a fad.they will be hidden from us in the same way that we have accepted the tv project for so many years.when did anyone last open up the back of a tv?

forums like these will be seen as dated and will be left to the few odd wordsmiths because not many will have the skills to repair nano,bio or whatever computers.

anskyber 09:06 22 Jun 2007

"the average person,especially in the future,wants 'selfish' things,like entertainment".

Great skill, to be able to predict the future, I imagine you predicted the internet as well.

Music, films, games are but a part of technology. there are also the big ones of communication and commerce both personal and business. I think you have completely missed the point if you think that the fadishness is about opening up computers. Delving inside is only done by a few anyway. TV's, cars are less and less available to us as toys to open up and repair, I do not see their popularity waning as a result.

Things are unlikely to be the same on that we can agree but technology, barring a complete breakdown in society will be with us, in one form or another.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?