Do you think this will stop them?

Cymro. 11:30 11 May 2017

From the BBC News Site.

A cold-calling firm has been fined a record £400,000 by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) for making almost 100 million nuisance calls. Keurboom Communications called people, sometimes at night, to see if they were eligible for road-accident or PPI compensation, the ICO said. It breached privacy laws by calling people without their consent. The company has since gone into liquidation but the ICO said it was committed to recovering the fine. It said it had received more than 1,000 complaints about automated calls from the Bedfordshire-registered company.

QuizMan 12:25 11 May 2017

As often happens in these cases, the company has gone into liquidation. I wish ICO well in recovering the money, but they'll have huge problems and I doubt that they will be successful.

Whilst they can prevent the owners becoming directors in the future, they seem to get round it by appointing their family next time around so I have no great hopes of this being much of a deterrent. I wonder how much business 100 million calls originated. There must be enough to justify that volume of traffic. Someone on the radio this morning it could be as little as 2,000 which is a minute percentage, but presumably profitable.

bumpkin 16:25 11 May 2017

They should cut off their fingers so they can't rotate the dial.

Forum Editor 17:18 11 May 2017

"As often happens in these cases, the company has gone into liquidation."

The government has recently said it intends to legislate to enable fines like this to be recovered from the personal accounts of the directors of companies which go into liquidation to avoid paying up.

Belatucadrus 17:28 11 May 2017

"I don't enjoy receiving them but that doesn't make them illegal,"

Keurboom director Greg Rudd

Yes it does

ICO.

Making illegal calls, trying to conceal your identity, failing to cooperate with official enquiry. He asked for it, he got it. Well deserved.

Quickbeam 19:04 11 May 2017

"The government has recently said it intends to legislate..."

I doubt that they'll have much time over the next 5 years for that to come to anything.

Aitchbee 19:57 11 May 2017

I doubt that they'll have much time over the next 5 years for that to come to anything.

That's probably because all of the fines go to the government ... no questions asked.

Forum Editor 22:42 11 May 2017

Aitchbee

Well, who else should they go to? The government fines these people on our behalf, and the money goes into the national exchequer, which in turn is where all the money that is spent on public services comes from.

Aitchbee 22:55 11 May 2017

and the money goes into the national exchequer

which in turn is where all the money that is spent on public services comes from.

FE, the money should be divided [directly] amongst the people who have been cold called illegally. That's about £400 per victim.

Quickbeam 06:25 12 May 2017

Did Diane Abbott do the maths?

Teabag. 07:31 12 May 2017

Aitchbee is correct if you work on 1,000 complaint's sharing the £400,000 fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires