Do you remember - the free PC

norman47 20:22 25 Jul 2004

There was a lot of comment, awhile ago, about a company who offered free personal computers.

Well they did say you had to watch a few advertisements every day, so not strictly free, but they were at the time a reasonable spec'd entry machine. I believe quite a few members here and on other forums applied for one. I did not.

Has any one received one of these machines and do they put up with the adverts.

Gaz 25 20:33 25 Jul 2004

I know you shouldnt - but a pop-up blocker on that would suit me. lol

I didn't get one coz it would drive me nuts.

norman47 20:43 25 Jul 2004

Yes that's one of the reasons I did not apply for one, be like watching sky advert tv, er I mean sky satellite tv.

That plus I haven't got any more space for PC's.

hugh-265156 23:26 25 Jul 2004

i applied for one and soon after recieved the following email from metronomy.

"Your Free PC We regret to inform you that we are unable to fulfill your application at this time. As you may know, Metronomy’s launch generated considerable media interest, and we received an excellent response from households wishing to take part in the scheme.

However, we have also received information to suggest that a minority of applicants do not intend to operate within our standard terms and conditions, resulting in the potential theft of the computer. Whilst we have invested considerable resources into developing highly secure business processes and technology, the high cost of each PC means that we must control our exposure at this stage. As such, we have reluctantly decided to release only a limited number of PC’s in the first instance, in order to fully test our security procedures and technical infrastructure before a wider roll-out in the Autumn.

Unfortunately, we will be unable to progress your application until then. We recognise that our concerns apply to only a minority of applications, and regret any inconvenience that this may cause to bona-fide customers, but feel this is the best course of action to protect the long-term interests of the business and ensure that the offer can be available to all who want it in future"

Forum Editor 23:48 25 Jul 2004

If I was launching a new business venture I like to think that I would have given it enough thought to have identified the possibility of some people not playing by the rules.

I'll leave it at that, except to say I'm not in the least bit surprised at the outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?