Do you know people who refuse to use the internet?

Forum Editor 17:42 18 Sep 2011

There is growing concern that up to 17 million people over the age of 15 in the UK are refusing to use the internet, and are disadvantaged as a result. There's talk of 'a curtain coming down' between those who are online and those who aren't, as more and more companies offer online discounts, and jobs are advertised and applied for via the internet.

Martha Lane Fox, the government's 'digital inclusion champion' has gone so far as to say "I don't think you can be a proper citizen of our society in the future if you are not engaged online,"

What do you think, you who are members of an on-line forum run by a technology magazine? You are all presumably convinced of the benefits of using the internet;how would you set about persuading died-in-the-wool anti-internet people that they're missing out?

Bingalau 17:52 18 Sep 2011

I think these people will gradually die out over time. Children of the last ten or twenty years have surely been brought up on the Internet. So I can't see a problem. Us oldies either will or we won't...

Aitchbee 18:29 18 Sep 2011

I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters.All of us are over 50.All of my older siblings do not use the internet;just my younger brother and myself.My older brother in Ireland, has never used a mobile or computer.We are all 'normal'.Vive la differance!

TopCat® 18:47 18 Sep 2011

I know of three within my own family that shy away from trying out the internet. Two of my brothers and my wife! The elder brother did at least give computing a go, when his son brought him a laptop to try out, but he just wouldn't persevere with it and gave it back.

As for my wife? Well she marvels at what I can do with my computer and at the enormous amount of information available from just a few clicks online, but the closest I've got to her 'doing pc things' is using the mouse or keyboard to scroll up or down a Google search results page as she reads it. Anything else and she's away like a shot!!

As Bingalou says, some of the really 'lost causes' will fade away naturally over time, but with more help from family members endowed with a great deal of patience, quite a few reluctants could possibly change their mind.

Anyway, it's not all doom and gloom, thank goodness, as it seems more and more elderly living alone are getting to grips with keeping in touch with the family by email. Good for them, I say. TC.

Golden Oldies

Autoschediastic 19:25 18 Sep 2011

i know about 8 people in total, they refuse cause of a few reasons them been:

:Too scared too as they listen to the media about ALL the cyber attacks!

:Dont have any understanding or dont know where to get it from also too embarrassed

:dont have the finances to buy a decent pc or pay for BB

:bad previous experiences

:live in too remote areas...

OTT_B 19:46 18 Sep 2011

I have to admit that I'm surprised that there are as many as 17m people refusing to use the internet (or maybe just not online?).

I know one couple who steadfastly refuse to bring themselves out of the 1930's, but that's their prerogative. They haven't done at all badly for themselves, but then they made what they've got well before the online era.

But for any child growing up now, not having access to a world of resource from your own home or school would be a travesty. I'd question how disadvantaged someone is, who is (say) 80 years old and refusing to go online....

Aitchbee 20:00 18 Sep 2011

There are a lot of people who use the internet, but have become disheartened, with regards to financial dealings.I am one of them.

morddwyd 20:01 18 Sep 2011

"I'd question how disadvantaged someone is, who is (say) 80 years old and refusing to go online...."

I'm not yet 80, 6 years to go, but I'd be seriously disadvantaged if I was offline.

Most of my news, particularly in depth, comes via my computer, my bank doesn't have any branches so it's phone or computer, and I find the phone difficult, similarly with utility bills.

I'd have been particularly disadvantaged when building this PC, as I'd have had to go down to London on the train to browse for bits!

Aitchbee 20:18 18 Sep 2011

Martha Lane Fox, the government's 'digital inclusion champion' has gone so far as to say "I don't think you can be a proper citizen of our society in the future if you are not engaged online,"

Who is she?

Get her on this forum, and we'll soon sort her out, please. FORUM EDITOR.

Armchair 21:04 18 Sep 2011

My brother (aged 45) won't have anything to do with computers. My parents have never used a computer, and probably never will. I don't think a lack of internet use will make any significant difference to their lives. None of my next door neighbours own a PC, either.

Personally, I'm hooked on it. I spend far too much time online. It isn't healthy, really.

peter99co 23:31 18 Sep 2011

My Wife refuses to use the internet and yet she sees the advantages but has no interest at all. I have bank and energy supplies online so I do not know how she will cope if I can't be there in future.

A friend can not see any use at all for a computer and struggles with his video recorder even now. He is 70 plus but I can't get him near a system. (or teach him how to use the video recorder.)

A number of friends have internet but they struggle to keep them updated or working properly due to lack of proper housekeeping and blame the system or websites for letting things go wrong.

You bring up the subject of passwords and security and they look blank!

I have 12 WiFi Routers in my area and 6 are open to connect. Mostly BT HUBS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?