Do you have problems making hyperlinks in your posts?

Forum Editor 14:27 31 Aug 2013
Answered

I've noticed that quite a few people do, and we end up with the words 'enter link description here' as the hyperlink.

In case you are puzzled by the process I thought it might be worth posting a quick reminder about how to do it.

First, select the url of the page you wish to link to by copying it from your browser's address bar.

There are now two options for inserting a link in your post.

You can type the words you want to form the hyperlink, and then get the site to form the link, or you can make the link and then type words into the text entry area you'll see.

If you want to use the first method....

type your words and then select them - left click and hold, and drag the mouse insertion symbol along the words to highlight them.

now click on the little green planet icon with a right-hand facing arrow on the forum text entry format bar. When the 'insert hyperlink' dialogue box opens you'll see http:// already highlighted. I'm not sure why we've put that there, and I'm going to see if we can remove i). I always delete it, otherwise it will be there twice when you do the next step, which is...

with the cursor blinking in the entry field, right click and select 'paste'. Your link url will appear in the box.

Now click on OK, and your link will form - the words you selected will appear in blue when you submit your post. If you want to carry on typing text make sure that you do so after the [1} which appears at the end of your link text. Ignore the 1 followed by the url which appears further down the page - it won't be there when your post appears in the forum.

If you decide to use the second method for making a link just click the little green icon and follow all the other steps. When you click OK to close the link dialogue you'll see the famous words 'enter link description here' in brackets - just click on the words and start typing your own choice for the link. Carry on as described, and your words will form the link when the post goes onto the forum page.

Sorry if that's a bit long winded, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but I thought it might be useful if you're among those who have experienced difficulties.

lotvic 14:45 31 Aug 2013

FE, That sounds a bit clunky. As I had problems with first word after link being teleported to an orphan word right at bottom of my post, what I've been doing is:

Copy my url

type ClickHere (or any other words that I want to be the link) then highlight the words

Click on the blue/green globe

paste the url in popup box (overwriting or deleting the existing http : / /)

Example (if it still works ;-)) Link to Speakers Corner and hopefully I won't get an orphan word at bottom.

Forum Editor 14:54 31 Aug 2013

lotvic

It does work. I agree that it can seem a bit clunky, but as you've demonstrated it works well, once you get the hang of it. Your orphan word may have been the result of you inserting your first word after the link in the wrong place. When you see enter link description here continue to type after the [1}, not before it.

lotvic 15:52 31 Aug 2013

No, that's not it. I never see the words 'enter link description here' I certainly don't type one word before the [1} and then move cursor to the other side of [1} to continue typing. My cursor is already on the other side of the [1}

Did you actually try the way that I described?

Possibly orphan word occurs if I forget to type a space first? I'll try that out.

Possibly orphan word occurs if I forget to type aspace first

fourm member 16:29 31 Aug 2013

The thing I like about coding is that there are always different ways of doing it.

This is lotvic's method;

lotvic link to this thread

And this is just done from the keyboard;

fully manual link to the forum home page

Jwbjnwolf 16:39 31 Aug 2013
  Jwbjnwolf 16:43 31 Aug 2013

Ok well I'm glad you've changed the way on doing it now, as before I was keep getting the click here bugs at the bottom but works fine now. So GOOD WORK ;D

Nontek 16:46 31 Aug 2013

I have never had any real problems with hyperlinks, apart from a very occasional hiccup many moons ago.

lotvic 16:57 31 Aug 2013

Yes fm, most all regulars know you can laboriously type the square brackets and paste or type your url in and the [1} (or 2 or 3) and/or any of the several other methods to make the links. This was covered yonks ago when new forum system came in and we all spent a few weeks experimenting with different ways and formatting.

Each to their own - Having tried them all, I prefer the way I do it at the moment as it is easy and quick. Also I think the orphan word was a glitch and hopefully is fixed now.

Forum Editor 17:18 31 Aug 2013

lotvic

"Did you actually try the way that I described?"

Well yes, because it's the way I described in my opening post. I have never suggested that anyone types the brackets etc.

Lots of people have problems with it however, which is why I started the thread.

lotvic 17:54 31 Aug 2013

FE, fm was only pointing out that there is more than one way to insert the link... (and I was only agreeing with him...)

However you may wish to check your instructions I don't see how the parts I've marked in bold can work - a typing error perhaps? as it should be the copied url you paste in.

quote/ "type your words and then select them - left click and hold, and drag the mouse insertion symbol along the words to highlight them. Then right-click and select 'copy'.

now click on the little green planet icon with a right-hand facing arrow on the forum text entry format bar. When the 'insert hyperlink' dialogue box opens you'll see http:// already highlighted. I'm not sure why we've put that there, and I'm going to see if we can remove it. I always delete it, otherwise it will be there twice when you do the next step, which is...

with the cursor blinking in the entry field, right click and select 'paste'. Your link url will appear in the box.

Now click on OK, and your link will form" /end quote

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?