Do you eat food past it's sell by date

johndere 18:37 26 Aug 2006

Must admit i often do, but i seem to have iron guts.

wolfie3000 18:56 26 Aug 2006

Yeah i do sometimes, things like crisps and biscuits are pretty much safe but trifles as i found out once aint.

freaky 18:58 26 Aug 2006

My wife is a hoarder....consequently I unknowingly eat lots of food past it's sell by date!

If I have time, I do periodic spot checks and sling the old stuff out...she never seems to notice !

CurlyWhirly 19:01 26 Aug 2006

I eat food if it's only a day or 2 past it's sell by date but only if the packaging has the wording 'Best before' and never 'Use by' as this is risky IMHO.

rdave13 19:07 26 Aug 2006

I will eat food past it's sell by date and best before date but will always examine the food closely before I consume. Common sense prevails I think.

spuds 19:13 26 Aug 2006

I tend to find the odd tin of Mafekin corn beef about the house.Doesn't have a sell by date on the tin, so I suppose its a case of open and see ;o)

Everytime we go into any of the main supermarkets, its a always the same ritual. Buy for buying sake, then get home and find the same item with a best before or sell by label, that as been ignored. Good job that we have a couple of professional food testers (dogs) available who cannot read.

Some meat canned for an arctic exploration mission approx. 100 years ago, was tested and still found to be safe to eat. It depends on what it is.

sunny staines 20:40 26 Aug 2006

gives the immune system a good work out.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:42 26 Aug 2006

Always as I forget that I have the food...never had a problem.

G

wee eddie 20:42 26 Aug 2006

Many are sold before they are ripe.

Obviously there are risks involved as I frequently eat the rind as well. I was told, many years ago, that much of the life on the rind of a cheese is beneficial to the stomach's fauna and flora and any that wasn't was likely to be in balance as that which was.

I have not had a stomach ache in decades but whether my penchant for eating over-ripe cheese rind has anything to do with it or not is debatable.

Altruist 20:45 26 Aug 2006

if it's only a few days past as I think they allow for a few days to cover themselves. The nose is a good judge and the colour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?