Do you charge solar light batteries

ponytail 08:11 14 May 2015

We have quite a few solar lights in our back garden and now a few don't seem to light up at night.I have never been sure if you are supposed to charge them up yourself or are they charged by the sunlight.These are the type we use. Pack of 4 BuyaBattery Branded AAA Rechargeable Solar Light Batteries 600mAh 1.2V NiMH for Garden Solar Lights I was thinking of buying a packet Does anyone know what we need to do.Thank's

BRYNIT 10:20 14 May 2015

How Solar Yard Lights Work CLICK HERE

The batteries will charge during the day.

The problem could be the battery or the unit has failed due to age.

BT 12:42 14 May 2015

More likely the NiCad batteries have come to the end of their life.

Forum Editor 17:12 14 May 2015

These batteries have a limited life. Generally speaking they tend not to be the best in terms of quality to start with, and they give up sooner than you might expect.

As the others have said, they are charged by the solar charging panel, and that acquires a film of dirt over time, or the face material degrades. Fitting new batteries will help, but you do need sunlight to charge them during the day.

lotvic 17:46 14 May 2015

I've replaced most of mine as original batteries worn out and weren't holding the charge/recharging in sunlight. Quick clean and polish of solar charging panel and new rechargables put in. I occasionally put the batteries in my charger to 'top them up'.

bumpkin 18:29 14 May 2015

I don't know what you paid for them ponytail, but they are so cheap now that just replace mine when they fail.

wee eddie 18:38 14 May 2015

My mother had a set of plastic glasses with flashing lights. She was unable to understand that it would have been cheaper to buy a new set, than to replace the batteries

ponytail 20:42 14 May 2015

What would happen if I used ordinary rechargeable batteries or even ordinary non rechargeable batteries.One of the lights that does not work is only about 2 months old.We bought two packs of these 4 in a pack.1 set lit up the other did not I then swapped the batteries around and the one that did light up still lit up and the one which failed to light still did not light so it was not the battery.Any ideas.Thanks

bumpkin 21:07 14 May 2015
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 16 May 2015

What would happen if I used ordinary rechargeable batteries or even ordinary non rechargeable batteries

rechargeables will work fine - non rechargables wil light the lamp then go flat (waste of time)

one which failed to light still did not light so it was not the battery

bad connection, failed LED, failed light sensor,

bumpkin 16:51 16 May 2015

ponytail, if you have kind of lights illustrated in my link or something similar they fail frequently, no point wasting your money on replacement batteries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone