do we have any welsh readers

sunnystaines 17:45 01 Mar 2010

if so what do you think about the dragon idea?

click here

the angel of the north is a rusty eyesore,do you want something similar or would you be proud of your new dragon

[ another waste of money when cash is short]

Forum Editor 18:01 01 Mar 2010

but I think I speak on behalf of most Welsh people when I say that we don't need a dragon on a tower to give us a sense of national identity.

It's a complete waste of money if you look at it from one point of view, but if we judged all public monuments in purely monetary terms our towns and cities would be devoid of a lot of their character.

alB 18:36 01 Mar 2010

Absolutely right, you only have to listen to a rendition of The Land Of My Fathers to hear the pride and passion of Welsh people who know who they are without needing a sculpture..."The land of my fathers, the land of my choice", says it all really ...alB

Quickbeam 18:45 01 Mar 2010

"...listen to a rendition of The Land Of My Fathers to hear the pride and passion of Welsh people..."
Isn't that a vocal sculpture, so to speak?

I think we all like to trumpet our identities now and again... it does no harm.

Helen. 21:16 01 Mar 2010

and you reckon the Angel of the North is an eyesore.
click here
click here

morddwyd 21:32 01 Mar 2010

Sorry, he might be bronze-ish, but he ain't red.

The Welsh dragon is red - Y Ddraig Goch.

sunnystaines 21:53 01 Mar 2010

if they cleaned up the angel of the north and applied some paint it might be a lot better.

i agree staines is not up to much, trying to move but cannot sell the house.

dagbladet 19:31 02 Mar 2010

Two years ago a competition was run to design an 'Angel of the South'. The eventual winner was Turner Prize winner Mark Wallinger with his absolutely huge white horse (about twice the size of the Aot North).

The link below shows the other contenders a couple of which were...erm, unusual.

btw whilst the project is awaiting planning permission, local interest in the project is starting to cool (not in favour of any of the others), just as a bit of a waste of money.

click here

sunnystaines 20:03 02 Mar 2010

what a load of rubbish i hope they do not waste money on them

Woolwell 20:39 02 Mar 2010

In Somerset you get Willow Man click here and Humphrey the Camel click here

Forum Editor 20:40 02 Mar 2010

but I can't help feeling that Eurostar passengers from across the channel might wonder what the point was.

I quite liked Daniel Buren's cubes with a laser beam.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?