Do they never give up

bumpkin 00:18 03 May 2014

"Microsoft agent" phoned me again today, very pleasant Indian gentleman offering to help me fix all the problems that he says I have reported with my PC. He just requires me to press a few buttons on the keyboard to enable him to help me. Does he think I am THAT STUPID.

This post edited to remove unacceptable word - FE

rdave13 00:28 03 May 2014

Nope, but he hopes so. And sometimes he'll strike gold. Sad for the unwary as it can cost dearly. Pity there wasn't an anti "thiefware" program for the telephony system.

carver 06:42 03 May 2014

MechKB send me your phone number and I will give you a call and pretend to be one of these people, don't want you to feel left out.

I had one and when he explained that I had a virus I told him that I would switch on my Apple mac that was running Android and he told me it still had a virus and it had reported this to Microsoft.

I manage to keep another one on the phone for about 8 minutes pretending I didn't know how to use the PC, he got a bit upset.

fourm member 08:02 03 May 2014

'Does he think I am THAT STUPID.'

No. He KNOWS that there is an X% chance that you are that stupid.

Where X is a number that makes it worth the money to ring all the people who aren't.

BT 08:03 03 May 2014

I've also never had the 'Microsoft' calls, and despite TPS I still get mostly calls wanting do a 'Survey'. I just say "I don't do surveys" then tell them to * off.

The most stupid one recently was 'telling' me that the recent accident I'd had might entitle me to claim. I said "I haven't had an accident" and was then asked 'Are you sure?'. I think I ought to know!

carver 08:20 03 May 2014

BT but if you are suffering from amnesia and short term memory loss because of the accident you may not know about it.

So just do as I have done on several occasions and just ask which accident I'm owed the money from and tell them I want it now.

They soon put the phone down.

BT 08:45 03 May 2014

carver

BT but if you are suffering from amnesia and short term memory loss because of the accident you may not know about it.

In that case I couldn't tell them about it !

carver 09:17 03 May 2014

MechKB phoned that number and the swat team should be at your house any time .

BT "In that case I couldn't tell them about it !" that is why you have to ask them which accident they are referring to.

Once told one of them that after being killed by the falling piano I had trouble getting up in the morning.

Aitchbee 12:07 03 May 2014

I frequently get calls about double-glazing ... this is the usual script;

Hello, is that Mr Aitchbee?

Yes.

Do you mind answering 2 questions, Mr Aitchbee?

Sorry, I don't like answering questions over the phone, and anyway your 2 questions have been answered.

Goodbye.

bumpkin 13:03 03 May 2014

"after being killed by the falling piano I had trouble getting up in the morning."

Pleased to see that you have recovered from that unfortunate experience:-)

bumpkin 15:01 03 May 2014

It is OK having a bit of fun with them if you happen to be in silly mode. I once spent about 10mins convincing the pest that I had a special keyboard that had no Ctrl key. Eventually he got the supervisor to speak to me who having explained exactly where it is, asked if I could now see it, of course not I replied, it is down the shed, she hung up.

For those that feel left out, don't because they normally call at the most inconvenient time with a total disregard for their intended victim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone