Do Sonic Cat repellents work?

SPEEDO JR 17:54 03 Apr 2007

Every now and again I find cat mess on my lawn. I have tried all sorts of physical barriers to prevent the cat getting into my back garden but to no avail. I'm thinking of getting an Infra Red Sonic Repellent. Could any Forum Members please advise me if these devices work? Thank You.

octal 18:01 03 Apr 2007

No, our neighbour installed one and cats just strolled across the garden as if they didn't exist, their ears twitch a bit was the only indication they heard it, he has now disconnected it because it got on his lids nerves because they could hear it, being younger and could hear the higher frequencies.

By the way, are you sure it's cat's and not the local friendly fox? I quite often find a present on our doormat when I leave in the morning.

octal 18:03 03 Apr 2007

lids! where did that come from, kids of course.

Tigertops 18:03 03 Apr 2007

Since most cats get their kicks from ignoring both humans and and everything else you want them to do you may be on a losing wicket. If electronic cat scarers operate like mole scarers forget it. You could try putting down chopped lemon peel on the areas affected. Cats don't like citrus scents. You can get electroniccat activated water guns which gives them a fright but you are into real expense there

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:19 03 Apr 2007

The only way to stop cats is ... a bigger cat.

Spread a little LION/Tiger dung on you garden and the neighbour hood cats will stay away.

VCR97 20:21 03 Apr 2007

I fixed wire-netting in my hawthorn hedge. That has almost stopped the problem. I haven't found any deposits for a couple of weeks, which is amazing as I would sometimes be clearing five or six piles in a day.

Bingalau 20:28 03 Apr 2007

Cheaper to go to your friendly Safari park and see if they sell Lion Dung. It will do the roses a power of good too I imagine. Soak it in a hessian sack in a water butt and water the plants with the resulting liquid. Great on tomato's. No! I know very little about gardening, but the gardener of the house I was in when I was evacuated used horse dung like that. so I can't see there being a big difference.

tammer 21:01 03 Apr 2007

Not sure your lawn would stay clean mind you...

click here

PurplePenny 21:57 03 Apr 2007

"I can't see there being a big difference"

Actually there is a big difference: cats are carnivores and horses are herbivores. I believe that you have to be more careful when using carnivore dung.

Fred the flour grader 21:58 03 Apr 2007

An old pal of mine said to get some clear 2ltr plastic soft drink bottles and half fill them with water, then let them lie around your lawn/garden. Apparently the cats hate the reflections that these give off and stay away!! I never tried it though, sounded like a load of old codswallop to me. After reading what I have just written, it sounds even more stupid. However he is an avid gardener and allotment holder and swears by it. Me, I would prefer an air rifle!

WhiteTruckMan 22:02 03 Apr 2007

Just shouting "BUGGER OFF!!!" does the trick for me.

BTW be carefull of the air rifle trick. You could land in more of the smelly stuff than you started with!

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?