Do people still believe this junk?

Colin 11:53 02 Jun 2009

I received the e-mail below at work. It was sent from a supplier that we use showing all the e-mail addresses that they had sent it to. (Which is another topic in itself!).

"This information arrived this morning direct from both Microsoft and Norton.
Please send it to everybody you know who has access to the Internet.

You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation
'Life is beautiful.'

If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES , and delete it immediately .

If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful.'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.

This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.

AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner.'

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY

I can’t believe that anyone still thinks that they are genuine. What is the purpose of the originator? To fill up servers?

lotvic 12:58 02 Jun 2009

I think the kindest(?) or business effective thing to do is ask your IT dept/ or whoever is in charge to forward a copy of the email to the supplier firm's Manager/IT dept. with a polite note requesting that they check on hoax-slayer.com click here before sending out this type of email.
I would also point out their major faux-pas in disclosing all their clients names/email addresses in the header.

It was probably sent by a junior in the office who doesn't know any better (yet) and I would think that his/her manager needs to do a bit of inhouse training - and quickly.

Colin 13:07 02 Jun 2009

Hi, lotvic. The funny thing is, is that the person who sent it is quite senior. In fact, our General Manager receives these types of e-mail and he forwards them on to everyone he can think of!

BT 16:31 02 Jun 2009

He obviously doesn't have enough real work to do!

Colin 16:51 02 Jun 2009

BT - how did you know?

BT 17:20 02 Jun 2009

Many years of suffering interference from managers who would have been far better employed doing something useful instead of getting involved in things that they didn't need to, and getting on my nerves!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?