Do nurses really use food banks?

oresome 16:21 14 May 2017

I've heard this said several times by politicians recently, but looking at the pay grades for nurses which stretch over a considerable span I would have thought it unlikely unless they are living in a very high rent area.

If it is true, there must be many more occupations in a worse situation living below the breadline.

(nurses circa £27k)

Belatucadrus 16:51 14 May 2017

Problem seems to be that Unions claim they exist but nobody has any figures on it at all, nor has any nurse stuck his/her hand up and admitted to using them. It may well be true but nobody knows how many or where, so as an incendiary factoid with no evidence to back up or disprove it's just tayler made for an election campaign.

Aitchbee 16:55 14 May 2017

Slightly off subject but a good friend of mine who is an auxialiary nurse has often remarked that the canteen facilities in her hospital are very expensive, " 80p for a rasher of bacon" as an example.

lotvic 17:44 14 May 2017

HB, '80p for a rasher of bacon' doesn't seem so expensive if you compare that to the price of a bacon butty in a cafe

Aitchbee 17:59 14 May 2017

lotvic, with all due respect, 'a bacon butty in a cafe' is rather different to a rasher served on a plate in a hospital canteen setting.

Forum Editor 18:22 14 May 2017

"'a bacon butty in a cafe' is rather different to a rasher served on a plate in a hospital canteen setting."

Why is it, Aitchbee?

Hospital canteens have to pay staff, they have to be financially viable, just as a cafe does. Many hospitals provide subsidised meals in staff canteens, so margins are tight.

A hospital food survey, carried out two months ago by the Campaign for better hospital food, found that in general, staff get better-quality food than patients.

The survey found that less than a third of London hospitals provide freshly-cooked meals for patients, but over three quarters of them provide fresh food for staff.

Aitchbee 18:40 14 May 2017

but over three quarters of them provide fresh food for staff.

So that means that just under 25% do not get fresh food. So hundreds of thousands of nursing staff are not catered for? [pardon pun]

lotvic 19:42 14 May 2017

HB, I believe that just like a lot of cafes, catering places, meals on wheels, Residential Homes etc. food on the menu is a bit of both - some are prepared from Fresh and some are frozen meals/ingredients.

wee eddie 19:43 14 May 2017

As someone who has run the Catering, in SE Thames Regional Health Authority, during Whitley Council days.

Medical Staff were notorious for moaning about the prices of their food and appeared to have little concept of the real cost of putting food in front of them, on a plate, in a clean Cafeteria.

bumpkin 19:53 14 May 2017

My local hospital had a staff canteen (subsidized), a general canteen for visitors or anyone else at reasonable prices, both had decent food. Also a Womens Institute snack bar. All now gone and just a Costas in the foyer with extortionate prices and nothing worth eating unless you want to pay £1.50 for a tiny slice of cake.

Aitchbee 19:57 14 May 2017

lotvic, I still believe that a not-insignificant number of nursing staff will use food banks as a 'financial crutch' if they are available, providing they can prove that they qualify for this basic need. There will be a number who can survive without this modern day anomaly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires