Do Not Resuscitate?

FUl2tiV3 23:31 30 Sep 2006

i was reading click here
he he, you made me laugh Totally-braindead!
i'm forever pulling my computer apart to add/change stuff
and i keep thinking....i should just buy a new machine
mind i mostly use me laptop these days

i'm interested to see how much others have done to their original machine
mine was a cheapy £750 in 2001, was in pc advisors top 10 chart

so slow it wouldn't see the advantage....?
speed of processor: amd xp 2400 (was duron 850)
amount of memory: 1gb ddr (was 128 sd ram)
operating system: win xp sp2 (was ME, oh how problematic that was) and linux
hard drive size: seagate 120, and maxtor 40

graphics card: (blushes) leadtek geforce2 mx200 32mb (original, you might guess i'm no gamer! soon to be replaced by click here)
power supply: generic 250w soon to be replaced by click here
let me think it's got new fans, usb1 board, usb2 board, been wireless, new dvd rom, dvdrw
still the same ecs ks75a motherboard with its problematic cmos battery issues
new case, new m/board, cpu and it'll be a whole new machine....

how's it sound Totally-braindead?! i use it mainly for photoshop, and video. anyone else care to list the life of your machine?

jimv7 09:55 01 Oct 2006

I still use the same computer I had originally.....

it started life as an amd 25 cpu, with a huge 40mb hdd and 16mb of ram, 150watt psu and running win 3.1.

After several case/cpu/psu/hdd's/ram/and various other upgrades over the years it is now running an athlon dual 4.200 cpu/sata 2 hdd's/1gb ram, 550watt psu and winxp sp2.

But honestly it is the same computer I started with...............

jimv7 09:55 01 Oct 2006

Not amd 25 but an intel 25 cpu.

Cymro. 10:20 01 Oct 2006

Your posting reminds me of the chap who said he had used the same brush for years and had only had one new brush head and one new handle. I think he was the road sweeper in Fools And Horses, I think he was called Trig.

Totally-braindead 10:55 01 Oct 2006

FUl2tiV3 don't really follow why I made you laugh but that aside I think my attitude is a reasonable one. If you have an old PC and it does what you want then that is fair enough. I wasn't attempting to take the mickey out of anyone using an old PC. And if you want to try adding bits or upgrading bits then fine, it can be fun and you do learn a lot.
The point I was trying to make and I thought I put it across reasonably clearly. If you have say a Celeron 400 then there is no point spending £300 buying a graphics card for it as it wouldn't be able to run it properly. You'd be better spending the money buying a new motherboard and processor and a cheaper graphics card.
Spending a lot of money adding stuff on a PC that can't run the components properly is a waste of money and I hate waste. The best idea IMHO is to have a balanced set of components. A processor, amount of memory, hard drive size and speed and graphics card that work well together. That to me is the thing to do. Your PC as it stands now is ok. You have upgraded the processor and a lot of other bits but the poster on the other thread says nothing about how fast his computer is or indeed anything about what he has so I think my asking him to provide a bit more info is reasonable.
You obviously don't think so and instead find what I say as funny. Everyone to their own I suppose.

FUl2tiV3 12:03 01 Oct 2006

i'm sorry. when i said you made me laugh, i meant it in a nice way. in that your advice was good! i shall try to explain myself better net time! i was laughing at the thought, like Cymro. said that i almost have a new computer/brush, and i could have bought a new one.

however part of the fun was learning how to do it all, making mistakes, and coming here to get the advice on how to repair my mistakes.

plus i was seriously interested to see how long people have managed to prolong the life of their machines, longevity and all that. hope you take the compliment as i originally intended it!

Totally-braindead 12:09 01 Oct 2006

Thank you for explaining I now understand what you meant.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:30 01 Oct 2006

Nowadays rebuilding upgrading can cost more than buing new.

You can even get manufactures to pt in what you specify. They can source the parts cheaper than you can.

Have built several PCs for myself and other people repaired what seems like hundreds.
Bought my last PC (a Medion) could not build one of simular spec would have cost me at least £200 more.
Even had chance to tour the factory in Koellda (Germany) earlier this year was very impressed with the set up.

Having said all that building a PC is very educational satifying and thats something you can't put a price on

Totally-braindead 12:36 01 Oct 2006

Agreed Fruit Bat /\0/\ it is more expensive but can be very rewarding. Especially when you consider the money you can save later on when you are then able to replace parts yourself rather than having to resort to repair shops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone