Do I Pay by Credit Card or Debit Card ??

premier man 14:59 06 Apr 2006

I ordered some furniture which will arrive at their warehouse next week,
as per the norm I have to pay off full payment of about £2000 before delivery.
Now is it best to pay by debit card which I would prefer, or credit card??
It is a reputable firm.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of credi/debit.
I shall be paying complete amount whichever I do.
Anybody any thoughts on this.
cheers gordie

CurlyWhirly 15:03 06 Apr 2006

I usually use a debit card for everyday purchases but for a large purchase like that, I would use a credit card as you have protection if something goes wrong with the purchase (assuming that the price is £100 or more which yours obviously is!)

premier man 15:07 06 Apr 2006

if I pay by debit card,is their no protection at all??

Totally-braindead 15:14 06 Apr 2006

I also would use a Credit Card they give protection in the event of something going wrong that Debit Cards do not.

As an example, and I realise this is not in any way similar to you but does stress the advantages of a Credit Card.

I was billed for an item from Guernsey about two years ago, it was over £1000 and I never ordered it or used it or whatever. I contacted the CC company, they put a hold on it, sent me a small form I had to sign saying I had not purchased whatever it was and the money was refunded 3 or 4 days later. That would not happen with a Debit Card.

Also if the furniture never arrives or arrives damaged and if you have problems getting satisfaction from the furniture company you can instead contact the CC company explain you are unhappy and they will refund you. It gives you an extra option if things do go wrong. Which hopefully they won't.

namtas 15:15 06 Apr 2006

if I pay by debit card,is their no protection at all?? None at all.

Totally-braindead 15:16 06 Apr 2006

Took me a while to type the above. I'm not sure, I don't think so unless its a case of fraud in which case theres a lot of chasing for you to do to prove it, such is not the case with a Credit Card. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on the Forum can put you in the picture.

Shas 15:24 06 Apr 2006

If you have both, why not buy it on the credit card, then, once you've received the goods and are happy, pay the credit card off using your debit card?

Diemmess 15:32 06 Apr 2006

For safety as the others said use your credit card.

Depending on your own personal reasons for favouring the debit card, you could do some juggling with your accounts.

How about arranging either to pay off all or some of any credit card debt, just before you increase it again with that new purchase?

spuds 15:51 06 Apr 2006

Food for thought: Many a good well known reputable firm as gone into administration, leaving customers with nothing only grief. Pay by credit card, so you get protection under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

You can pay part or all of the bill by credit card, and still have benefit of the Act. Payment by debit card alone, will give very little protection.Worth remembering that 'interest free' agreements may also come under the Act, depending on how they are provided.

HondaMan 16:16 06 Apr 2006

If you pay by Debit Card, all you have to protect you in the event of te company going bust is the law and in the case of a bankruptcy or other similar event that is useless. If you pay by credit card, the card company are equally liable so, in the case of bankrupty or similar, they are still liable to you either for the goods or the money you have paid. To take a more extreme example, a few years ago I bought a new car, the dealer, I thought unusually offered to accept a deposit by way of credit card. If anything had gone wrong, not only would I have had a claim against the dealer, if he then still existed (Note Rover/MG) but also the credit card co

For peace of mind and your ow financial safety, use the credit card.

€dstowe 16:32 06 Apr 2006

Paying by debit card - you are paying with your money.

Paying by credit card - you are paying with the bank's money.

With the first, they don't care one jot as it's not them losing if something goes wrong. With the second, they may lose money if things go wrong so they are much more careful about putting things right.

Cynical? Moi? No, just truthful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017