DIY job gone wrong

Al94 17:32 18 Jun 2010

OK, simple job, adding an extra tap in the garden to attach an automatic plant watering system before holiday.

Turned off water at the rising main stopcock, did all pipework outside and turned on stopcock - no water! No matter how many times I turned it off an on, tapped it with hammer, used heat, absolutely no mains water.

Decided the washer must have come off and stuck so as it's in an awkward place and the mains valve at the footpath will need to be turned off, time to get a plumber.

Two days later, plumber turns up but can't open the cast iron access plate in the footpath, syas it's wedged tight and if he breaks it water service won't be happy, better cal them he says.

Did so this afternoon, young male "jobsworth" says it will take 3 working days to get someone out. Not happy so phoned back half an hour later and gave a very nice young lady a sob story. She called back an hour later and said "good news, I've got someone coming to you after 4.00pm"

Only problem, plumbing firm closes at 3.30 on Friday and they don't work weekends.

Water board came at 4.15, broke the cast iron cover with a hammer ok for them to do that) and turned off the supply.

Called on a favour from a friend and he located a plumber who is coming to replace the internal stopcock tomorrow morning and hopefully that will be the end of the saga as we could all do with showers!

All that for a bloody garden tap - I give up!!!

peter99co 17:35 18 Jun 2010

I bet it rains as well!

peter99co 17:40 18 Jun 2010

I had a "switch" fitted by Severn Trent when they fitted a water meter. It is a valve that works on water pressure and just has a plastic air pipe to an on/off switch.

Turn off the water when you are going out even for a day if you want. Simple.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache