dissapointing PC Advisor

Sethhaniel 14:49 11 Mar 2007

as a subscriber to the CD edition I feel let down as this Months offers pages of what is available on the DVD issue and also what is on the extra free Cd (only available on bought over the counter copies) whatever happened to Loyalty insentives

will be reviewing my next subscription closly

Totally-braindead 15:01 11 Mar 2007

I haven't seen it yet Sethhaniel but the issues I have bought over the counter that includes extra free CDs have been old coverdisks. I have not received anything extra which was in any way worthwhile.

Sethhaniel 15:07 11 Mar 2007

wiat till you see what youve missed this time
about the only cover disk worth its salt over the last couple of years :(

Totally-braindead 15:21 11 Mar 2007

Well I'll definately be looking out for it.

If its not one of the old cover disks (which of course I had already received) then fine it'll be a welcome edition for me.

I used to be a subscriber but now buy over the counter, the newsagent will probably not have them till the end of the week though.

Belatucadrus 15:27 11 Mar 2007

I've found the increasingly overt attempts to get me to upgrade to the DVD addition rather irritating.

pj123 15:52 11 Mar 2007

Sethhaniel, sorry to say this but I am becoming more and more disenchanted with the PC Advisor magazine and the cover DVD. I get it via subscription but am seriously looking at cancelling.

I never use anything off the cover discs so you can have my DVD if you like? Just email me via the envelope and I will post it out to you.

Forum Editor 16:29 11 Mar 2007

to take a look at your thread. I expect he'll respond on Monday.

crosstrainer 16:31 11 Mar 2007

Pretty rare i find much use for the software...but they do make excellent coasters for paint pots plants etc!

wee eddie 19:01 11 Mar 2007

the CD Version of the magazine

Totally-braindead 19:39 11 Mar 2007

wee eddie neither does my local Tesco, you either buy the DVD edition or go elsewhere. This has been discussed and its not anything PCA have done its Tescos own decision to stock only one edition and they have chosen the dearer DVD edition. I presume this decision is because they only have a limited amount of space - in my store anyway.
Thats why I buy at my local newsagents.

Regarding the coverdisk theres seldom anything on it that interests me. We get tons of anti virus and security suites, some with free 6 months updates and thats useless to me. I have an antivirus program, I don't need or want two. And the other thing I notice tons of is photo software. I already have 3 decent photo software packages, 2 free ones and one paid for. I don't want a photo editing program every month.
I would like to see full, non time limited software. No trials, no software that says its a full version and after a month reduces its facilities so its as much use as a chocolate fireguard so that you delete it immediatly after the month is over. Full older versions of good products as there is no way you can get the newest editions for free. And what I would like is things like data recovery software, backup software like an older Acronis, perhaps an MP3 program again such as the Musicmatch one I got a couple of years ago.
Of the last 12 CDs I have loaded only one thing, the Encyclopedia and I was so disappointed in it I deleted it the following week.
I buy the magazine for the magazine not for a CD or DVD thats advertises full programs that are not full programs. A splendid example of this was the Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 suite, its a full program all right. For 30 days then reverts to a very basic program. I didn't load that either. Whats the point?

To the CD Editor, I understand from what you said last year that cover CDs and DVDs are desirable and people buy the mag for them. Fair enough for them. But can you please not call a program a full version when in my opinion its not. If its time limited its not a full version, if certain parts of it becomes disabled after a certain period of time its not a full version, if its a free trial and after the trial is over you have to pay for it - it is not a full program.
I remember discussion as to what constititutes a full program. Full to me means you can use all the facilities of the program for as long as you wish. It does not mean that it works for a period of time and then stops working. That to me is not a full program. I know what you'll probably reply - it is a full program because you can use all the facilities of the program. Yes but if after 30 days you can't then in my opinion its not a full program, its a time limited trial.
Sorry about the rant CD editor. To be entirely honest if I was buying the magazine because of the coverdisk I would never buy it.

Z1100 19:40 11 Mar 2007

;)
Sorry, just had to say that.

Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?