Dispatches: Abortion; What We Need to Know

Proclaimer 12:45 05 Mar 2008

Did anyone see the "Dispatches: Abortion; What We Need to Know" program that aired on More4 (very) late last night?

The program was described as such- 'As the 40th anniversary of abortion law nears and the Select Committee on Science and Technology meets to hear evidence investigating scientific developments relating to abortion, Dispatches reporter Deborah Davies looks at the latest scientific research into foetal pain and pre-term infant viability.'

Apart from the discussion on Abortion, this program brought up another issue for me. The actual foetal abortion was filmed in all its detail. From torn limbs to suction and even the 24 week old complete aborted foetal child was shown being wrapped up after the abortion was completed.

I was not sure why they decided to show such graphic details and I can't say it disturbed me in a traumatic manner though I wonder if everyone is as seasoned as I am.

So, did you see this program and has Dispatches crossed a line in dignity or taste by showing such tiny torn body parts from an abortion?

crosstrainer 12:55 05 Mar 2008

I didn't see it, but your post is graphic enough for me, shock TV springs to mind....I would not want to see the realities of abortion plastered across my 42" lcd rig. Sounds as if this has passed the boundaries of taste by miles.

wee eddie 13:06 05 Mar 2008

As a male, I should have little input.

However, in my mind, every woman who finds herself pregnant, should be able to choose whether she wishes to carry the foetus to Term. There should be no pressure on her from either Camp.

Brumas 14:12 05 Mar 2008

I am a six foot, 13 stone Yorkshireman and I freely admit ,as I read that third paragraph I had tears in my eyes. I wouldn't watch that for all the tea in China!

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:04 05 Mar 2008

'There should be no pressure on her from either Camp'...the documentary is speaking for the foetus which many here seem to have forgotten about.

'I would not want to see the realities of abortion plastered across my 42" lcd rig. Sounds as if this has passed the boundaries of taste by miles.Sounds as if this has passed the boundaries of taste by miles'...this is the singular most inane comment that I have ever heard and I despair at the way people shut out reality. How is your life in La-La land?

'So, did you see this program and has Dispatches crossed a line in dignity or taste by showing such tiny torn body parts from an abortion'..so now you know what it is really like don't you?

G

crosstrainer 15:08 05 Mar 2008

Point 1) I think that all women retain the right to control over childbirth.

Point 2) The "Inane comment" you refer to is simply an opinion, I would (and I'm fairly sure many women also) not wish to see the gory details of a foetus' demise in glorious living color.

Point 3) I do (despite your opinion) live frimly in "the real world"

Earthsea 17:03 05 Mar 2008

I didn't see the program but think it's entirely right for people to know the truth about abortion. Hiding the harsh realities of life would result in us all living in blissful ignorance and effect our ability to make reasoned decisions when faced with a difficult situation, such as abortion.

If you want to remain ignorant then switch off/over.

wee eddie 17:07 05 Mar 2008

I'm not saying that some of the methods used to abort a foetus aren't horrific.

I am saying that, I think that, every woman should have the choice as to whether she takes a foetus to term or not. Without any social pressure and, without having seen the program, it would appear that it was being very forceful regarding the unacceptability of abortion.

Forum Editor 17:16 05 Mar 2008

and anyone who thinks otherwise is not in touch with the 21st century.

wee eddie 17:17 05 Mar 2008

which these clips were obviously showing.

Is:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That society makes a woman, who does not wish to carry a foetus to term, Wait ~~~ & ~~~ Wait, sometimes for several weeks before that same Society will allow her to have an abortion.

It is Society's demand that all sorts of options be examined first, that allow a foetus develop to a point that, to the uninitiated, it will appear to be an almost fully formed human, when it is still not capable of maintaining its life outside the womb.

Proclaimer 18:18 05 Mar 2008

The program made a point, a very strong one, that at 24 weeks, in the same hospital there were abortions on a foetus in one part of the hospital whilst all medical heroics were performed on another 24 week old premature birth.

There was no 'it will appear to be an almost fully formed human, when it is still not capable of maintaining its life outside the womb.' about it.

Both were clearly identifiable as humans. One was alive the other aborted. Two unrelated cases I should add.

GANDALF <|:-)> '..so now you know what it is really like don't you?' Yep, I do. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

However, to broadcast this sort of material must have been quite a decision for the programme makers and I would think there would be strong arguments on all sides about the suitability of showing dismembered bodies on TV.

Earthsea It may be on 4 on Demand. I have not looked to see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?