Discrimination against Home Countries football

birdface 11:10 06 Jun 2010

It was a bit quiet on here this morning and trying to think of something to do I so came up with this.

Now everybody knows whichever country runs the World Cup they are automatically represented.
click here

Why should England and not Scotland.Ireland or Wales have the chance to run it.

Is the bid for the whole of the Uk or just for England.
And would the other home Countries have to apply for Independence before they can apply.

Funny. Rude. But no crude replies please.

bremner 11:18 06 Jun 2010

They are seperate football associations so no Independence required.

Neither, Wales, Scotland nor N Ireleand could run the World Cup on their own, they simply do not have the stadiums. In fact even if together they made a joint bid the three countires still wouldn't have enough stadiums.

Anyway FIFA do not favour joint bids as that means two teams automatically qualify as in 2002.

Quickbeam 11:26 06 Jun 2010

As far as I know. the other home countries in the union can put in a bid, the finaces would be a huge problem though.

The FA has always distanced it'self from any suggestion of a GB national team which FIFA would like to see happen click here

birdface 11:33 06 Jun 2010

I cannot see the FA paying for it all so I would imagine that the Government would have to chip in.
Or is it solely funded by the FA.

birdface 12:19 06 Jun 2010

I was just thinking you have Welsh teams playing in the English league.
English Team playing in the Scottish league.
But looks like none of them will ever be able to hold the World cup in their own part of the Country.
Maybe they are not even interested in holding it but thought that I would mention it anyway.
Wonder what strange thing I will think of next.

So looks like the answer is they do not have enough good football stadiums and probably not the funds either to apply for it.
Just another thought before i go.
I know nothing of South African football but just wondered if they have enough good stadiums to play in.
And of course seeing that they are holding it they must have.

bremner 13:47 06 Jun 2010

SA have spent heavily building new stadiums.

birdface 15:09 06 Jun 2010

I could see where the money could have been better spent but I suppose the sales Revenue will be welcome.
Well I suppose I have had all of the answers to my question.
Such strange things you think of when you are bored.
Need to get out a bit more i think.

Housten 15:33 06 Jun 2010

Quickbeam
"The FA has always distanced it'self from any suggestion of a GB national team which FIFA would like to see happen"

I think you are wrong!! I am a Scot living in England, and I think you will find that it is the other nations that have refused - for I think fairly obvious, and valid, reasons - to join England in a GB team for the Olympics, for instance. Even with guarantees from Blatter the others were not interested!!

Bingalau 18:40 06 Jun 2010

Click here for details of where, when and how etc. of South Africa's Football World Cup... Hope this link works! When, and if it does work, just move your curser over the diagram... Very clever...
click here

birdface 22:34 06 Jun 2010

Thanks for that saved it to my favorites so I should not miss any games.

Bingalau 09:07 07 Jun 2010

buteman.

Yes I also have it in my favourites, I will be able to follow what is going on much easier with the help of this gadget..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017