Disaster!

laurie53 11:41 24 Dec 2007

Oh My Gawd.

I've thrown the goose fat out, specifically bought for the roast potatoes.

Goodwill to all men (sexism fully intended!) is now singularly lacking in these parts!

Al94 11:42 24 Dec 2007

You did the right thing! Heart attack material!

Coffee Adict 12:47 24 Dec 2007

If you've returned from being banned to the shed, try here click here
if its good enough for Delia its good enough for me. Her complete cookery course says use the fat from whatever you are roasting, which makes sense to me.

Forum Editor 13:05 24 Dec 2007

because you'll miss out on the best roast potatoes you ever tasted.

Earthsea 13:12 24 Dec 2007

I'll be using the Delia method. On purpose, of course.

Actually, I've heard goose fat is the best and quite the opposite of 'heart attack material'.

Coffee Adict 13:13 24 Dec 2007

Forum Editor

Think that may have been rubbing salt in the wounds a litle bit there. ;o)
I suspect laurie53 is out scouring the country and may never be heard from again this side of christmas.

Forum Editor 13:19 24 Dec 2007

My father always insisted that we had roast goose for Christmas, so I grew up with potatoes roasted in the fat. I think they're the best, but no doubt opinions vary.

anskyber 13:24 24 Dec 2007

I'm not sure about the voracity of this statement but on the recent Rick Stein xmas special he claimed that the area of Europe which eats very large quantities of goose fat has the lowest rate of cardiac problems.

I think that roast spuds in a rich fat maketh the potato. I hope RS is right.

v1asco 14:34 24 Dec 2007

we have a vegetarian son, par boiling, drain then put some olive oil in the saucepan, give a shake to roughen up the spuds and coat with oil, then roast.

This is a good option, but would still prefer dripping.

€dstowe 14:35 24 Dec 2007

In descending order goose, duck, pork, chicken, vegetable oil,lamb, then beef. My view is that beef fat roast potatoes are so horrible that they aren't worth doing. Best thing to do with beef dripping is spread it on bread or toast - especially if it has some of that dark brown goo from the bottom of the roasting tin with it.

J B 14:49 24 Dec 2007

Sorry to hear of your terrible mis-fortune, however all is not lost, roast them with a good olive oil flavoured with rosemary and garlic. Failing that roast them around the meat, I do that and they are light and crispy. Give it a try and have a Merry Christmas. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?