Disabled Parking

laurie53 20:01 26 Feb 2009

You may have missed it down south, but a Private Members Bill has just been passed, unanimously, in the Scottish Parliament making all disabled parking places legally enforceable, and subject to a fixed penalty.

click here

May not seem much, unless you have had to return home without being able to shop because of low-lifes taking parking spaces they're not entitled to.

Hopefully if wardens are now to start checking it may help remove other abuses of the Blue Badge.

dagbladet 20:17 26 Feb 2009

Hopefully at the same time the wardens will clamp down on those with disabled passes that park in the most ridiculous and dangerous places because they're 'entitled to'.

peter99co 20:26 26 Feb 2009

We in the south will watch with interest. I keep getting two finger salutes when I ask why a driver has parked in a disabled bay and scampered into the supermarket.

I even had a car park so close to mine I had to wait until they had finished their shopping before I could get in mine. The offending car was even in a hatched area indicating no parking.

This was in a Tesco car park that was half empty.

A friend of mine who is also disabled and cannot park outside his own house because the council cannot enforce a parking bay for him. His life is therefore even more stressful as a result. When he asked for help he was told that as long as any car using his frontage was taxed they can do nothing.

laurie53 20:47 26 Feb 2009

Blue badge holders are not "entitled" to park anywhere other than authorised parking spaces/places.

As a privilege and concession they are allowed to park on yellows where and when loading is not prohibited.

They "may NOT park (and I am now quoting from the the guidance pamphlet issued to all blue badge holders, which devotes half a page to "Where to Park" and two and a half pages to "Where Not to Park") where there are double white lines; in a bus or tram lane; in a cycle way; on any clearway; at school entrances; close to a junction; where you would hold up traffic; where emergency vehicle access is required; at a dropped kerb; on the pavement.

If you park and cause an obstruction or danger to other vehicles your vehicle could be removed and your badge withdrawn"

All in all, these restrictions are perhaps just as stringent as those faced by able bodied drivers.

If you see a driver offending against these rules you can, and should, report them.

LinH 21:13 26 Feb 2009

dagbladet

How right you are! In my town they park anywhere that's convenient without regard to any one else trying to go about their business, or whether it's obstructive or just plain dangerous.

LinH

interzone55 21:20 26 Feb 2009

Could I add to your list

Private loading bays and anywhere when the disabled party is either staying in the car, or is at home and you're just borrowing their pass.

We used to have a serious problem at one place I worked where a woman used to park on our loading bay and drop a blue badge on the dashboard.

The pass was for her son, who was never present.

When challenged you'd just get a mouthful of abuse and threats of legal action for various infringements of her human rights.

Eventually our security guard got fed up and called a golf buddy, who was Chief Constable, he promptly reviewed our CCTV footage to prove the disabled badge holder hadn't been present, so he had the car towed.
On checking, the tax was 3 months out of date, the number plates were illegal and there was no valid MOT, so he had the car crushed...

Kevscar1 21:39 26 Feb 2009

LinH

How right you are! In my town they park anywhere that's convenient without regard to any one else trying to go about their business, or whether it's obstructive or just plain dangerous.

Exactly the same as parents dropping off and picking up their little ones from school

Strawballs 22:20 26 Feb 2009

Yellow lines are usually there because it is dangerous to park there so how does a blue badge make it less dangerous??????

Chegs ®™ 22:44 26 Feb 2009

Our council had a bright idea,they finally decreed that a taxi rank be setup on a street in the town....then installed a disabled parking space just before the painted section that indicated the rank.Because a taxi was covering the disabled bay waiting for the taxi moving off at the head of the rank(it had just been booked)a disabled badge holder pulled up alongside the parking space and started blaring the horn & making rude gestures as they wanted to park in the space and werent prepared to wait.This disabled bay was the cause of many such incidents and also was the "tinder" of much abuses of the rules for parking,such as private vehicles parking on the rank whilst they went to collect their meals from the takeaways in the area.After years of arguments flaring around the rank,it was finally created with raised kerbs and barriers and the disabled bay moved.

My grandmother had a badge for whenever out shopping,my mother had gone shopping and parked properly in a space but was issued a FPN for being 5 minutes over her time.She was furious as if she had the mind to,she could've parked right outside the shopping precinct and left her mothers badge displayed.

I'm sure that not all badge holders are mouthy ignoramus' but round here I've never met any that arent when sat in a car.They seem to get behind the wheel & put their brains in the boot,as I've transported some of these drivers home in my taxi & away from their vehicles they were very pleasant people.

Stuartli 00:09 27 Feb 2009

>>but was issued a FPN for being 5 minutes over her time.>>

Not if your grandmother wasn't with her, which is the impression given in your comment i.e. "She was furious as if she had the mind to,she could've parked right outside the shopping precinct and left her mothers badge displayed."

As the time period for a Blue Badge is three hours, it must have been some shopping expedition if I've got the wrong end of the stick...:-)

Chegs ®™ 05:39 27 Feb 2009

My mother didnt take my grandmother with her and parked in a standard space on a carpark,but if she had wanted to she could've used the badge and parked illegally outside the precinct for upto 3hrs whereas she had bought a ticket for a space on the carpark.In much the same way that able-bodied drivers seem to think that use of their hazard flashers allows them to park anywhere.Thats what made her so furious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?