Dinosaurs not wiped out by asteroid

PalaeoBill 23:16 29 Apr 2009

click here;_ylt=Ah1.0gzYZUWHsr1hpr3ChOMPLBIF

click here

It was probably Gordon Brown then, he seems to be guilty of everything else.

Forum Editor 23:33 29 Apr 2009

"New geochronologic and stratigraphic evidence confirms the paleocene age of the dinosaur-bearing Ojo Alamo sandstone and Animas formation in the San Juan basin, New Mexico and Colorado."

To:-

"Dinosaurs not wiped out by asteroid"

lotvic 00:43 30 Apr 2009

Right then, it is obviously more than time I went to bed as the posts on here are just getting silly ;-]

PalaeoBill 00:44 30 Apr 2009

You need to dig into Fassett's paper a little but essentially he has found hadrosaurid dinosaur fossils in rock that is around half a million years younger than the K-T boundary asteroid impact.
He is confident that the fossils are not the result of re-worked sediment (i.e. older rock, that contained dinosaur bones, that has been eroded and re-deposited making it appear to be younger than it is).
If he is right then the Chicxulub asteriod impact crater did not wipe out all of the non-avian dinosaurs. They lived on for at least half a million years, albeit in drastically reduced numbers.

lotvic 00:52 30 Apr 2009

aahhh, OK, thanks, now I understand.

PalaeoBill 00:54 30 Apr 2009

Sorry, it was silly of me to suggest that Gordon did it. Clearly he isn't quite old enough, but it is a bit suspicious that there no dinosaurs in Scotland.

lotvic 01:08 30 Apr 2009

I believe they went over the sea to Skye click here :-D

tullie 06:25 30 Apr 2009

Thanks,glad youve enlightened me,couldent sleep last night.

laurie53 08:21 30 Apr 2009

"there no dinosaurs in Scotland."

Not true.

According to at least one poster in these forums, I am one!

Grey Goo 08:48 30 Apr 2009

Do you splash about in Loch Ness for the tourists then.

Legolas 08:54 30 Apr 2009

Ah who mentioned Nessie. Since it is almost the tourist season I want to be first to say that I spotted a very lifelike dinosaury type thing somewhere in Scotland. So all you tourists get here quick or you might miss it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone