Dilemma at the ATM

rdave13 12:59 16 Mar 2007

Walking along the street today a person asked if I could help him.
He said that he was dyslexic and needed some cash from the ATM.
The last person he asked refused point blank and he thought that
was ignorant.
So I helped him, put the card in and he showed me his pin on a piece of paper,
and got out £20. He was very grateful and couldn't understand why people
wouldn't help someone with his disability.
On reflection I made a mistake of not asking him his name and checking
the name on the card and the thought never occurred to me at the time.
Question is ,as we're all security conscious with our cards, did I do the right thing
or should I have refused and walked away like the first person did?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:16 16 Mar 2007

You should have refused as many ATMs have tiny cameras for ID. If he was so badly dyslexic that he could not read numbers he could have entered the bank and asked for the money over the counter. Two of my close friends are severely dyslexic but they have remembered the sequence to press the numbers for their ATMs.

G

medicine hat 13:31 16 Mar 2007

If he wasn't wearing a hoodie I'm sure it was fine ;-)

spuds 13:33 16 Mar 2007

On very dangerous grounds for both you and him. Personally I would have suggested that the person either visited a bank,building society, post office or some other interior means of making a money withdrawal.The onus would then transfer to those issuing the cash.

rdave13 13:57 16 Mar 2007

This happened too early for the banks and PO's to be opened and he wasn't a hoodie.

pj123 13:58 16 Mar 2007

Surely, if it was a scam he would have withdrawn more than just £20???

I remember an incident a long time ago when I was operating as a Mobile Auto Electrician. I was filling my van in the petrol station when someone approached me and said he had locked his keys in his car and could I open it for him.

I did open it and went on my way. I also never bothered to check anything or even see if his keys were actually locked in. So, like you Rdave13, did I do the right thing.

Jackcoms 14:16 16 Mar 2007

I'd have done what you did, handed the person £10 and walked off with the other £10 - having first explained that it represented my fee for helping him. ;-)

Watchful 14:23 16 Mar 2007

I think you did the right thing but if it ever happens again, ask for their name and check it against the card just as a precaution.

rdave13 19:19 17 Mar 2007

Thanks for your responces. Jackcoms; a very good idea but caught on the hop at the time lol. It's a pity that you have to be careful how you help people today and believe that Watchful's reply hits the nail on the head. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?