Dilema

Seth Haniel 10:28 09 Jan 2009

An atheist campaign claiming "There's probably no God" has been reported to the advertising regulator.

click here

"but I pity the ASA if they are going to be expected to rule on the probability of God's existence."

So will the ASA play God ??

babybell 10:32 09 Jan 2009

In my opinion, if Christian campaigners can tell us all were sinners when they have no actual proof of the exisitance of God, then why can't atheist campaigners say don't worry, their probably isnt a God, so stop worrying. No one side can prove itself right so whats the issue.

johndrew 10:34 09 Jan 2009

I would consider this freedom of choice. If you can be a `Satanist` by `religion` then why not an atheist.

It doesn`t matter whether you agree with a belief, you should agree with the principle of freedom in all cases where there is no direct physical threat - such as a terrorist would pose.

Seth Haniel 11:05 09 Jan 2009

which backed the campaign, said it was not taking the complaint seriously.

Common sense attitude !

;)

birdface 11:08 09 Jan 2009

[There's probably no God]Its hard to disagree. All the fighting in the world to-day it is mainly due to religion.So maybe if there was no religion there would be no fighting.And we could live happily ever after.Everyone has there own ideas and it is there rights to have them.I do not go to church or anything like that but I do believe someone has been looking after me all my life.So it makes you wonder.

Jim Thing 11:23 09 Jan 2009

As someone who supported the humanist bus campaign, albeit in a very small way, I sincerely hope that it will help to get people wondering why religious organisations are accorded so many privileges and so much respect. How many other corporate bodies can you think of whose senior managers sit in the House of Lords by right, and whose more extreme adherents believe that the earth was created only around 6000 years ago and see nothing wrong in teaching children that they'd better behave or burn in everlasting hellfire?

As someone once said (Bertrand Russell, was it?) "Good men do good things. Evil men do evil things. But for good men to do evil things, that takes religion."

Next campaign: to get the humanist viewpoint represented on Radio 4's Thought For The Day.

[Exits in haste, pursued by FE's silver deleting mouse]

Jim Thing 12:24 09 Jan 2009

It wasn't Bertrand Russell. It was Nobel prizewinner Steven Weinberg:

“With or without [religion] you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion.”

caccy 16:25 09 Jan 2009

I thought he had resided in Downing Street for the last few years.

Forum Editor 16:53 09 Jan 2009

There's no silver deleting mouse in evidence - you've said nothing untoward.

As a matter of fact I endorse pretty well everything you said.

spuds 17:38 09 Jan 2009

Didn't Billy Connelly make a film about trying to sue God ;O)

Jim Thing 18:47 09 Jan 2009

Thanks, FE. I thought you might have seen my post as an attempt to stoke up a row about religion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?