Diesel and petrol car sales banned from 2040

oresome 09:08 26 Jul 2017

Not that far away.

It will require a massive investment in infrastructure to support the load on the grid and provide sufficient charging points throughout the land.

I wonder how it will impact the luxury and high performance manufacturers?

wee eddie 09:44 26 Jul 2017

Plenty of time to backtrack, would be my analysis, should Battery Technology fail to step up to the plate

Pablo de Catio 09:55 26 Jul 2017

Then why are they scrapping

enter link description here

Govan1x 09:56 26 Jul 2017

Makes you wonder how well they have thought it out. The way i see it no more long distance driving if you are going on holiday in the UK or driving to work or back it is just not going to work.

Takes each car 30 minutes to recharge you can imagine the chaos that is going to cause.

Then of course they have said nothing about Lorries,Buses or Aeroplanes that have the worst emission problems.

And of course if the Government loose all tax from the sale of petrol or Diesel how are they going to make that up. Increase tax or what.

Timing coincides with With BMW cars being built in the uk will be all electric.

If i wanted to drive to say Scotland it would take about 2 hours longer providing the service stations had no queues. I am only guessing at that maybe cars built 20 years from now might go a lot further on the one charge.

At the moment cars can do between 40 to 200 miles on the one charge. Only the very expensive cars can do between 100 and 200 miles to the one charge.

So it will be down to what you can afford.

Hmm Electric Aeroplanes that could be something for the future.

Michael Goves has said the government will invest lets say £150 million to go towards setting up new charging points and he is expecting most local councils to set up there own at their cost. Wow that should fit new chargers all over the UK at that stunning offer from the Government.

Pablo de Catio 09:57 26 Jul 2017

How will they recoup the tax revenue on petrol and diesel?

Old Deuteronomy 10:14 26 Jul 2017

Twenty-three years is an Epoc in politics, at least four more general elections to come before 2040. I can't see us getting far down the line to 2040 without this policy getting diluted or abandoned, once the motor industry lobbyists and rich, car buying, Tory donors ramp-up their oposition.

alanrwood 10:49 26 Jul 2017

At my age who cares.

I do however feel it is a step in the right direction even if it is a small one.

oresome 11:07 26 Jul 2017

Assuming a 30 minute charge time and you're 3 or 4 back in the queue at the charging point, I think there is a great opportunity for someone to devise ways of relieving the boredom and perhaps relieving you of some cash.

Cymro. 13:21 26 Jul 2017

I wonder how it will impact the luxury and high performance manufacturers? oresome

The truly wealthy never bother with such things as they have others to do such things for them. In fact I bet the rich will be the last to suffer from all this. They will not be bothered by any of the problems it will bring to you and me. Someone else to hang about recharging and they can always use the company jet and put the extra cost down to the firm.

oresome 13:54 26 Jul 2017

Will the final production runs of internal combustion engine powered cars become cherished collectors items?

Perhaps we'll wander round them at exhibitions, marvelling at the fact that they could travel several hundred miles between top ups that were accomplished in minutes.

Regarding the sport variants of electric vehicles, perhaps an external loudspeaker to simulate the exhaust note will pacify the enthusiasts and luxury models can have built in sleeping arrangements for the frequent stop-overs while charging.

Alternatively, the battery pack is swapped out at taverns, much like teams of horses were changed in the past.

Forum Editor 14:23 26 Jul 2017

You can charge your electric car from your household mains supply, and by 2040 the technology will have improved to the point where cars will easily run 300 miles on a charge - plenty for all but the longest journeys. By then there will be charging points everywhere - existing fuel stations and motorway service stations will have banks of them, as will public carparks, hotels, and anywhere else where there is space, including the streets. I doubt that there will be queues of cars waiting for access to a charger.

Most people will get through a normal day's driving without having to bother about charging the car.

By 2040 we should be generating a good deal more electricity than at present.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017