Did Sony get it wrong with the PS3?

PaulB2005 20:31 26 Mar 2007

After the fury of the PS3 launch last week (free taxis and 42 LCD TVs) what happened?

A quick trawl up and down my local high street and all the shops that stock the PS3 have two signs.

1. No Nintendo Wiis until further notice.

2. Limited stock of PS3 available NOW.

A few questions here and there reveal that one store HAD 18 PS3 at mid-day today but this went up to 20 after a customer cancelled an order for 2. Presumably he was going to flog them on eBay but saw all the other PS3s with zero bids.

Another store told me they get several calls a week after the Wii but had none and no pre-orders for the PS3.

Did Sony get it wrong somehow?

georgemac © 20:35 26 Mar 2007

I thought so until I read this click here

I think they would have been more successful if

1. They did not remove the chip that gave full backwards capability with the PS2 games

2. They put in a normal DVD drive instead of a Blu Ray Drive to keep costs down - Sony have taken a calculated gamble that the success of the games console will pull BluRay along with it.

3. The price differential between US/Japan and Europe was not quite so high.

My son and his mates also say for gaming the PS3 is miles better than anything else. I wouldn't know, I'll just be shelling out for it! Maybe I'll have to do it soon or there will be none left!

PaulB2005 20:50 26 Mar 2007

"The figure also means that Sony has not sold all of its opening weekend stock, something the platform holder claims is part of its overall strategy at retail.

The PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360 and Wii all had supply problems after the launch. Retailers couldn't get them fast enough. Orders built up. People wanted them. They paid over the top on eBay for them.

The fact that the PS3 is still in stock is not a something a manufacturer wants to see. It means that supply has outstripped demand. They want demand to outstrip supply so the dollars and pounds are in the pockets of the manufacturers and not sitting in warehouses and shop stores...

royalflush 20:52 26 Mar 2007

My brother in law bought one on saturday & was that dissapointed he was going to put it on ebay...but since he's took to it....as hes got into a game...

PaulB2005 17:32 27 Mar 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017