Destruction of the simple things in life

johndrew 09:56 26 Apr 2009

For some weeks we have had a pair of Song Thrushes nesting in a bush in our garden. As a result I have not pruned the bush even though it is in need of attention. They have continued to build the nest, lay eggs and hatch them even though the grass has needed mowing and our dog has known they were around. Recently they have been collecting food and feeding young that could sometimes be heard in the nest.

Last evening I let he dog out and there was a commotion in the bush. There was the sound of young birds crying out and the bush was being shaken violently. The dog barked at the disturbance and a cat jumped from the bush, up onto the fence and away. It was not a cat I recognised and so, presumably, had come from some distance away.

This morning there was one baby bird dead on the grass with puncture wounds in its body and another in the deserted nest.

Thrushes are becoming rarer and we had hoped to see the young fledge and perhaps even get a `family` photo. Life is full of sadness and disappointment.

Al94 10:08 26 Apr 2009

You could argue "that's nature" but I take a stronger view of marauding local cats especially at this time of year. I don't see any argument for not taking appropriate action.

lotvic 10:41 26 Apr 2009

I have repositioned my ultra sonic cat scarer gizzmo (runs on pp9 batteries) to protect my blackbird this year. Lost the brood last year to a cat and said cat was sniffing round the nest again this year.
It seems to be working, haven't seen a cat stalking the nest since. It hasn't affected the birds, in fact there seem to be more of them about. Added bonus is no messes to clean up after cats, wish I'd got the ultra sonic cat scarer gizzmo years ago.

sunnystaines 10:46 26 Apr 2009

had the same several birds nests raided after new neighbours bought a cat, now no nests they do not even fly in for nuts etc due to cats.

the thrush sings a nice cheep in the mornings or did prior to cats.

Stuartli 11:26 26 Apr 2009

In our area it's magpies that do the most damage, despite quite a number of cats.

But you have to remember that they are only doing what is natural - Mother Nature is very adept at keeping the right balance between the species over the years.

johndrew 11:47 26 Apr 2009

I could accept it as being `nature` if cats were not an alien species to this country. In common with the grey squirrel, rabbits and one or two others, they were imported by man and are now permitted to run wild by those who keep them as pets. Some have become feral.

I`m unsure of the definition of `appropriate action` as described by Al94 but can think of some which may fit the bill.

interzone55 13:55 26 Apr 2009

"I could accept it as being `nature` if cats were not an alien species to this country."

There's every chance that your not native to this country either, after the influx of Romans, Saxons, Normans, Poles, Asians etc

Also, the odd cat killing the odd bird is nothing compared to the widespread horrors than man has committed against nature all around the world...

VCR97 18:37 26 Apr 2009

...odd cat killing the odd bird...

click here

interzone55 20:10 26 Apr 2009

hat's a drop in the ocean compared to the obscene destruction we wreak across the globe

click here

VCR97 20:15 26 Apr 2009

That doesn't mean that it is either acceptable or should be ignored.

Forum Editor 23:30 26 Apr 2009

Apart from defecating in my garden they'll do everything they can to catch baby birds on the ground, or in the bushes.

I make a point of giving any cat the scare of its life if I find it in the garden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?