Designation of Origin

morddwyd 07:22 05 Nov 2009

A new deli has opened in the village and with a campaign to "save Our Local Shops" under way I thought I'd give it a try.

"Good Morning. Where does your Stilton cheese come from please?"

"London"

"It can't do, they're not allowed to make it in London"

"Oh, I only meant we get it from London. It's actually made in Stilton,"

Wrong again. One local shop I will not be endeavouring to save!

Whatever is wrong with saying "I don't know"?

John B 07:26 05 Nov 2009

Your deli opens early!

morddwyd 07:29 05 Nov 2009

Oh go back to sleep or get off to work!

John B 07:30 05 Nov 2009

Ha!

Quickbeam 08:10 05 Nov 2009

It's a pity nobody thought of granting Newcastle Brown Ale, a designation of origin status a few years back... I'm running already:)

gengiscant 08:12 05 Nov 2009

Well don't keep us waiting,where does Stilton come from? somewhere smelly I have no doubt.LOL

BT 08:45 05 Nov 2009

It can only be made in Leicestershire, Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire but curiously Stilton is in Cambridgeshire!

click here

peter99co 09:56 05 Nov 2009

I have been told many times that I would make a good Saleman

morddwyd 11:09 05 Nov 2009

Much like the same variety of beer can vary from brewery to brewery, so can the flavour of Stilton (and probably other cheeses too)vary from dairy to dairy.

Many people, particularly the locals in the areas mentioned, will ask for Stilton by the name of the dairy, and many shops will sell two or three from different dairies. Even my local Morrison's, in Dundee, sells both Colston Bassett and Long Clawson Stilton.

If I ask for one and get given another I probably would not be able to tell, but serve them side by side and I certainly can.

No different to bread or pies being better from one baker than another.

Incidentally, Cornish Blue, a proper blue not the Cornish Yarg, is very like a young Stilton, creamier and less crumbly.

Quickbeam 11:22 05 Nov 2009

Stilton is the only cheese I can't stomach, the smell put me off before it gets anywhere near my mouth!

interzone55 12:29 05 Nov 2009

I think I can find you some more cheeses you won't be able to stomach - try some of the riper Roquefort varieties, like this one click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?