Desert Island Discs 3000th edition

john bunyan 12:30 13 Nov 2014
Answered

This programme - tomorrow Radio 4 @9 am features Eric "Winkle" Brown, a former Fleet Air Arm test pilot who flew more than 480 types of aircraft - a record unlikely to ever be beaten I have read his biography and any fliers or those interested may wish to listen in. I believe he was once the "Boss" of a forum member.

BBC

Aitchbee 16:34 13 Nov 2014

He'll probably want a pair-of-wings as his luxury item and this song as well as one of his discs, I reckon.

click here

john bunyan 20:59 13 Nov 2014
Answer

Green tick as it seems there is little interest,

Brumas 21:35 13 Nov 2014

john bunyan, Fran has bought the book for me for Chsts after I saw his programme on BBC 2, what an absolutely amazing character.

As for 3000th edition, that's what I am aiming for on IL/TP ;o}}

Woolwell 10:26 14 Nov 2014

I missed the program this morning and will attempt to catch up later.

I will "own up" to being the forum member that john bunyan mentioned. Captain Brown was my Captain when I was undergoing training many, many years ago at RNAS Lossiemouth. I don't think that I ever met him but do have his signature in my records.

flycatcher1 21:21 16 Nov 2014

I recorded the programme and greatly enjoyed it. My sort of music.

I have my five "C"s for pilots - Cool,calm,collected and Captaincy. Captain Brown fits the frame exactly and although I was told to fly with old pilots, but not too old, I would make an exception with him.

Re his tale about doing barrel rolls over the spans of the Firth of Forth Bridge, my late Brother-in-Law's un-official passing out dare was to fly under the Menai Straits Suspension Bridge. He did it but was very unimpressed. Later on he found the Spitfire too hot to handle and, very bravely, said so, he then went to Burma as a Forward Air Controller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?