Depression

morddwyd 13:33 03 Jul 2012

Pass bridge control on the Tay Bridge yesterday I saw a member of the bridge staff running for the patrol vehicle.

I commented to my wife that there was probably some trouble on the bridge, thinking perhaps of a breakdown or shunt.

When we were just half way over the vehicle was stopped with the driver heading gently towards a young woman hanging over the edge contemplating the water.

Having been there myself I don't need to wonder what it is that drives people to such a state, but I am very saddened when it is a young person who gets to such a stage in their cry for help.

Nothing on the local news or press so I am hoping that, like me, she got the help she needed.

sunnystaines 14:20 03 Jul 2012

perhaps the bridge needs safety nets hung underneath if its a popular spot for jumpers

woody 15:13 03 Jul 2012

"the bridge needs safety nets"

It needs you me everyone to be more aware of people around us. Care - compassion - courtesy - consideration - for others all but gone. Dare I say you can not suggest this lack of compassion applies to a particular age group - we see it across all age groups.

What does still surprise me with young people is - they appear to have no one to turn to. No teacher - no friend - no friends mom - no family.

Is it at least in part because we see so many without the traditional family unit. Just a mom no dad some times a different "uncle" every other month - no grandparents etc. Or are we,collectively,frightened to offer help.

interzone55 16:57 03 Jul 2012

Any time we hear cries of woe about the problems with youths we need to look at the people who raised the youth, and perhaps the generation that raised them.

Society has broken down in many places because to many people think about themselves and not the people around them, their offspring, their neighbours, their colleagues.

It touches every part of society too - not just the dwellers of council estates - the present problem with the banks is down to traders thinking about their bonus before the effects their greed led decisions would have on the rest of the country / world

namtas 17:11 03 Jul 2012

Never the less depression is a terrible illness and those of us who have never suffered can not begin to realise how it effects sufferers, their families and loved ones.

I know that depression in young ones in Ireland was and I suppose still is a problem, the charity that I work with has provided some help with the Feather Project but it is only a drop in a very big ocean.

spuds 18:50 03 Jul 2012

You will seldom see these reports, unless it as caused delays to traffic flows etc, or perhaps special circumstances via a coroner's court report.

This events happen on a virtually daily basis through one fact or another. I myself with colleagues have been involved in three suicides, and five attempted. The age range was 23 to 68 years, mainly male, one female. Plus one which was assumed as suicide, but was actual murder.

One particular incident that will always remain with me, was when a 'VIP' told me to drag a persons body ("THAT THING") off the road and onto the footpath, so as to ease traffic flow, because he had an important meeting to attend?.

What a caring world we live in!.

Forum Editor 19:36 03 Jul 2012

A close friend of mine committed suicide - no warning - since when I feel incredibly sad whenever the subject crops up. The awful truth is that when someone is in such a depressed state as to contemplate suicide there's a lack of ability to reason. We can all see that it isn't worth killing yourself for (whatever 'it' is), but the suicidal person doesn't.

I do hope the incident you describe had a good ending - I was going to say 'happy ending', but that probably isn't the word to use; depression doesn't go away that quickly.

woodchip 20:18 03 Jul 2012

alan 14 You hit the nail on the head saying "Society has broken down in many places because too many people think about themselves and not the people around them, their offspring, their neighbours, their colleagues."

namtas 20:30 03 Jul 2012

Yes it is that Woodchip, but it is more than that is it not? we live in a very competitive world , a world of peer pressure and high expectations, we probably have always had this but somehow I feel that with the way that we have moved forward over the last twenty or thirty years and with advances in communication these things have become more prevalent. It is as if we are all living in a cocoon and being sucked along with less time to give of ourselves, no time for others, of course I am speaking in general terms and there many exceptions where many people do wonderful unselfish work, and make huge personal sacrifices.

morddwyd 08:17 04 Jul 2012

"You will seldom see these reports,"

I assume you don't live in a seafaring area.

An RNLI launch always makes the local headlines here, and rightly so.

woodchip 09:04 04 Jul 2012

fourm member

"saying 'it's society's fault'"

It may not be there fault but as some say above they could do something to help As no one can stop the death of a loved one, but support after the event can make things easier to deal with. Time its self cannot help sometimes, depending on how close the loved ones was. As it was in my case when I lost my Wife, it does easy it, but does not remove it or the pressure as I have been through the above when lost my Wife way back in 1994. and had to go on Ant-Depressants for some time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?