The demise of the safety/revenue camera

Quickbeam 08:33 26 Jul 2010

Delete as your opinion dictates click here

"Peter Roberts, of the Drivers’ Alliance, said: “This is a welcome move. The vast majority of speed cameras are more for raising revenue than road safety."

"Councillor Keith Mitchell, leader of Tory-run Oxfordshire council, said that Swindon, Wilts, had cut its speed cameras last year “and they have not noticed any change in accidents”."

But, "Shadow Home Secretary Alan Johnson led the backlash last night, claiming: “Everyone who has analysed this has said that speed cameras have been an important part of the dramatic improvement on our roads.”"

If in three years with the benefit of hindsight, they are shown to have been highly effective in reducing the loss of life on the roads, I'll positively accept their wide spread reintroduction.

Grey Goo 09:24 26 Jul 2010

Just to make your day, should it not be "profiteering", rather than profiting.

daytimers82 10:02 26 Jul 2010

what about mobile speed cameras you know the vans they use to catch people speeding....

karmgord 22:11 27 Jul 2010

Since Swindon stopped using them over a year ago there has not been Armageddon on the roads.
Nearly all accident blackspots are down to road layout and can be engineered out.

Forum Editor 22:31 27 Jul 2010

because they provide a useful revenue stream. Local authorities will become increasingly disenchanted because they have to provide and maintain the cameras without getting any of the money they generate.

In view of what government has said to local authorities with regard to cuts I predict an increase in the number of authorities who have to make a choice between speed cameras and what they consider to be more essential services.

At the moment we're in a kind of honeymoon period - we all know that big spending cuts are to be made, but we haven't really felt the pain. That's to come, and if you think local authorities cutting speed cameras is a major step, just wait - you haven't seen anything yet.

AL47 22:49 27 Jul 2010

best motoring news in ages!

Kevscar1 08:21 28 Jul 2010

Keep em. why give speeders a free run. Got caught once my own fault paid took the points no complaint

Quickbeam 08:39 28 Jul 2010

There is no doubt in my mind that the greatest reason for the general hatred of them is down to the widespread stealth introduction of them in the early nineties.

Instead of their introduction being accompanied by public information adverts like when the Pelican crossings, box junctions, automated level crossings etc were first introduced, to let us know in good time and more importantly why the new method of enforcement was being introduced, most drivers didn't know anything about this new enforcement policy until they were prosecuted remotely by post.

Yes, the driving paragons among you can all cry 'well you shouldn't have done it', but before their introduction we were driving to the perceived accepted standard. The mistake at the time was in moving the goalposts on a wet Monday morning and hoping you could maximise the revenue take before it became general knowledge that there was a new standard to take into account.

Kevscar1 09:29 28 Jul 2010

Quickbeam
the accepted standard is the posted speed limit not what you or anyone else percieves it to be.

Quickbeam 09:49 28 Jul 2010

The accepted standard is what 'was' accepted at the time, by the drivers, by the police and any other party, before a new technology is introduced.

Which is why I gave a special mention for the anticipated response from the inhabitants of Utopia...

egapup 09:57 28 Jul 2010

Great!!!! I can start speeding again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?