Delayed Baggage. What Should I Reasonably Expect?

Cara2 13:27 13 Sep 2017

My husbands one suitcase was delayed. It should have landed with us at 10.30 a.m. Thursday. It arrived at the airport 10.40 a.m. Friday. We had been assured it would be with us as soon as possible thereafter. I waited until 12.30 p.m. before I rang the carrier, who informed me it would be delivered to the hotel that evening. The case would potentially sit at the airport for several more hours (presumably a cost cutting exercise of some sort). We offered to pay for a taxi to deliver it but were told this was not an option. Faced with several more hours of my husband having only the clothes he stood up in and no swimming or snorkeling equipment, so we eventually made the trip back to the airport to pick up the suitcase ourselves. The suitcase was battered and had the lock broken into, so no lock for the return journey. And effectively, we had lost the best part of two days of our 9 nights holiday. The carrier pay £25 per day, which, as I have discovered with my travel insurance, only covers reimbursement for essential items and not to compensate in anyway. At the time I could not persuade my husband to start shopping for clothing etc. (We also had not appreciated we would be reimbursed).
What next step would you take, if any? I do think, given it was the carriers fault the luggage was delayed, the lack of urgency in getting the luggage to us once it had arrived at the destination airport and the expectation that we wait several more hours or travel back to the airport ourselves, is a rather lacking in customer service. And I am very cross!

chub_tor 17:30 13 Sep 2017

Some suggestions from Citizens Advice enter link description here

tullie 19:58 13 Sep 2017

Bit late for you now but my wife and I allways split our clothes betwen two suitcases,Just in case one gets lost.We also have a change of clothing in our hand luggage.

Forum Editor 15:25 15 Sep 2017

I can understand your irritation, but the Montreal Convention does not require airlines to pay for the inconvenience caused by baggage delays. An airline may decide to make an ex-gratia compensation payment, but don't count on it.

You will be reimbursed for items that are lost or damaged, and for any items that you had to buy as a result of the delay, but you will need to provide the airline with evidence of their cost.

Good luck with your claim. Next time you fly, follow tullie's example - it's something a lot of people do.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017