Death toll of Nepalese in Qatar

Woolwell 22:16 24 Jan 2014

Guardian Report.

Nepalese workers in Qatar building the infrastructure for the World Cup are being treated appallingly. The World Cup should be boycotted.

Mr Mistoffelees 22:18 24 Jan 2014

The amount of money involved will likely ensure that nothing is done.

Aitchbee 22:35 24 Jan 2014

Closer to home, I have noticed [from my sister's eleventh flat overlooking Hampden Stadium which will host the 2014 Commonwealth Games] that everything is fine-and-dandy ... average temperature is about 5 degrees C.

For anybody/someone to work under pressure, for long hours, at 40 degrees C plus, on a building site is just asking for trouble.

spuds 12:03 25 Jan 2014

I hate to say this, but while these events are very distressing to the Western World, its perhaps more regarded as 'the normal' in that part of the world. Life expectancy for the 'lower class' is far below that of the 'richer class', and it just doesn't sadly apply to this part of the world. Yet major governments tend to ignore this, especially if trading options and increased wealth are in peril.

With regards to Aitchbee's comment of long hours and heat. Again for that part of the world, its regarded as the normal, as are the living accommodations for those trying to support themselves and families. You either have 'any' job or nothing at all, there is no Welfare State, as we in the UK know it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?