Dear Mr. Darling (Would this work)

tein 17:37 17 May 2009

I know this is a crazy perception BUT its intresting!

Dear Mr. Darling,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing Britain's economy.
Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.
You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 20 million people over 50 in the work force. - Pay them £1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Twenty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new British CAR. Twenty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

4) They must send their kids to school / college /university - Crime rate fixed

5) Buy £50 of alcohol / tobacco a week - there's your money back in duty / tax etc

It can't get any easier than that!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know. If not, please disregard.
Makes sense to me, but I'm not holding my breath

rdave13 17:58 17 May 2009

If you ever go in to politics you'll have my vote :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 17 May 2009

Where do I sign up?

MAT ALAN 18:55 17 May 2009

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan

call it wot u like I'M IN!!!!

crosstrainer 19:10 17 May 2009

If only it was so easy....You have my vote too!

Have you a name for your newly formed party? You never know...People are so disillusioned with the present state of UK politics that if you get enough candidates together, you might just have a grasp on (oh dear POWER)

That's what mucks it all up isn't it?

bluto1 19:10 17 May 2009

Where's the queue?

Stuartli 19:16 17 May 2009

It all sounds fascinatingly simple to undertake, but a little more thought would reveal that it would never, ever work...:-)

DieSse 19:23 17 May 2009

That would cost £2 trillion - and basically there ain't any more right now - let alone that much more!

And anyway, I'm already retired, don't have a mortgage, and the child is 44, I'm allergic to alcohol an' I don't smoke. Though the money would come in useful, I admit - and I would promise to buy a new UK built car.

;-))

DieSse 19:29 17 May 2009

... apart from the money.

1. - That'd leave almost nobody with any real experience.

2. - Britain couldn't built twenty million cars.

3. - House prices would rise astronomically.

4. - People over 50 mainly don't have kids of that age.

5. - 20 million more boozing, smoking, retirees would cripple the NHS.

6. - They'd prolly all leave the country anyhow!

DieSse 19:32 17 May 2009

And if 20 million workers were given £1m each, and they all gave half to their kids - then everybody would retire, and there'd be no-one to do anything - let alone build the cars or brew the drinks!

tein 19:54 17 May 2009

Besides guys IF you buy a new car now ud get £2k off a new one so more money in your pocket.lol

Yeah if only it was so easy, i suppose £1 million is a rather exagerated amount like DieSse states that £2Trillion i suppose offering a figure of £250K most people would be very happy to retire with & it would be just in the billions then,

they could still buy a new car, they could still pay for there kids education,& in most cases pay off there mortage cause most 50+ aged people should have a rather small amount left to pay on there mortgage eh.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?