The Dead Road

Quickbeam 10:21 07 Jun 2012

It's amazing how we keep discovering lost man made projects, even from quite recent times. I came across this on Stalin's Transpolar Railway, I'd never heard of it before and is as amazing a story as the Great Hedge of India was when I first heard of that not so long ago.

ams4127 17:11 07 Jun 2012

I'd heard rumours of such a place before, but that's the first time I've seen anything written down about it.

Man's inhumanity to man - a classic example.

Thanks QB

Brumas 18:06 07 Jun 2012

Having read The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn many, many moons ago I am not at all surprised, sickened yes but not surprised!

interzone55 21:45 07 Jun 2012

The problem with the Gulags is that no-one wanted to be there, so the guards made the prisoners lives miserable.

I've read several novels that touch on life in Gulags, and also novels about life in the Nazi death camps, such as If This Is A Man by Primo Levi, and there doesn't seem to be much between them

spuds 11:49 08 Jun 2012

The problem with this sort of discovery, is that there are perhaps quite a number of people who know or knew about it, but for one reason or another have never made it public. And this doesn't just effect Russia, but many other countries as well.

We still have parts of concentration camps left from these moment of time, yet some people think that this should not be part of history, because it doesn't involve them. Yet history was based on such events happening, and some people do not put much or any importance to it.

Recently there was a documentary on television regarding Hitler and the other Nazi officer's of that time. The documentary involved the grand-children of some of those officer's, and how those grand-children were trying to come to some solutions of how they may have seen 'two-sides' to the stories that have unfolded. It was a very interesting and moving documentary, and one that needed telling?.

Aitchbee 12:31 08 Jun 2012

The 'Nasca' lines made by the ancient peoples of the vast flatlands (deserts) of the Americas are called to mind ... they were only discovered a few decades ago.

interzone55 13:19 08 Jun 2012

AitchBEE

You are more right than you think.

The Nazca lines, along with the pyramids in both Egypt and Mexico were all produced using slaves - just like the Dead Road

Belatucadrus 18:17 08 Jun 2012

It seems that the Egyptian pyramids weren't made with slave labour. Not to entirely excuse the ancient Egyptians as they did have slaves, just didn't use them on such a high status project.

Quickbeam 13:09 09 Jun 2012

Cecil B. DeMille got it well wrong then with his film The Ten Commandments...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?