Dead Cat.

birdface 10:05 21 May 2010

Sorry cat lovers but here goes.

Tuesday morning we noticed a dead cat in my Neighbors garden and a few of the school kids had a look at it on the way to school.
Mid afternoon and the cat was still there.
It did not belong to my neighbor so I took one of the old council plastic boxes and put the cat in it to get it out of sight till it could be removed.
managed to get a hold of the neighbor who is not well.
She told me she phoned the Council to see if they could remove it and was told it was nothing to do with them and maybe put the cat in the dust bin.
3 day on and cat and plastic bin still where I left it.
Her son was supposed to come and take it away but as far as I know it is still there.
Well the bin is and I am not about to remove the lid to find out.

There was no collar on the cat so there was no way to trace the owner.

I can only hope that it will be removed shortly but somehow i cannot see that happening.
Anyone any idea as who we could get in contact with to have it removed.

spuds 10:20 21 May 2010

The council's environmental department, and tell them that the cat is laying on the pavement or road (council-public owned property), they are then legally obliged to remove the deceased item. On private property, it is then the property owners responsibility.

Normally they then would 'refrigerate' the item for 7 days in case the owner turns up and reclaims the body, the same procedure applies to dogs and similar 'pets'.

Depending on how strict your council, then it can be bagged and placed in the wheelie bin, for disposal on the next collection day. If its 'maggot' infested, then spray the cat with fly killer or something similar, because the maggots with most likely escape and make havoc with the other contents of the bin.

birdface 10:39 21 May 2010

Thanks for the information.

The garden that it is in is owned by the council would that make any difference.

I should have had more sense and put it in a plastic bag instead of a container.

I certainly would not like to mess about with it now after lying for 3 days in this weather.
If I can get a hold of my neighbor i will explain what you said to her and see if she can get her son to shift it.
It is a fortnight before they empty the bins again so not sure about her waiting that long.

Þ² 11:01 21 May 2010

I thought this was going to be about Schrodinger's cat.

birdface 11:27 21 May 2010

Nice one but I had to look it up to see what you meant.

click here

Quickbeam 11:52 21 May 2010

Leave it in a hedgerow and nature will deal with it in a very short time.

donki 11:52 21 May 2010

I know it isn't really your problem but even thou he little moggie doesn't have a collar it could be chipped. Vets and councils have the equipment to check for one, wonder how it died in a garden?

Uboat 12:06 21 May 2010

find someone with ferrets! i would shame to waste it.?

Uboat 12:06 21 May 2010

or a maggot farm.?

Al94 12:27 21 May 2010

I can't help wondering at the apparent helplessness of those who constantly have to get "the council" to do things rather than get off their backsides and apply a common sense solution.

Reminds me of a village I worked in a number of years ago where the local council decked the town out with hanging baskets and window boxes for a villages in bloom competition. The local newsagent actually phoned the council about the box on his window sill and told them that if they didn't send someone to water it, the flowers were going to die!

interzone55 12:49 21 May 2010

I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to dispose of dead pets in the bin, especially as it may have a disease that could be passed on to birds at the landfill.

Call the RSPCA, they'll have the kit to scan the cat for a chip, if not they can have it cremated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?