Daylight Saving

Quickbeam 07:38 30 Oct 2013

Does anyone actually benefit from this so called twice a year daylight saving farce?

There was a talk-in on late night radio about it the other night, apparently there is a handful of diehard MPs that keep blocking any moves to permanently adopt BST with no changes despite polls saying that the vast majority of us plebs (including the Scottish plebs) would like to dump the clock switching pantomime. Most of the phone-inners expressed a positive use for the daylight being available in the late afternoon to carry on health pursuits like running and biking before the daylight finally faded in it's own sweet time. Sports bodies thought that that would have a more positive effect on the nations health over the winter, and psychologisty people thought that the sudden dive into winter depression wasn't good at all for us.

So just who benefits? I probably do as I rise with the sun at this time of the year and have already been around the park with the dog, but the rest of the regular dog walkers are still tucked up in bed as I walk past their houses on the way, so they're all losing an hour hour of valuable daylight. But I'd sooner have the darkness descent gradually on us, after all, we're only tricking ourselves that there's more to be had, there's no more daylight to be found or saved than the orbit of our planet dictates we have.

BT 08:06 30 Oct 2013

Kitty is slowly getting into the 'new' timezone.

Sunday he decided that 5 am was time to get up and was mewing to go out. I resisted till 5.45 and finally got up and let him out as it was clear I wasn't going to get any more sleep. He actually left it till 6.15 this morning but not before he had done a rather smelly poo in his litter tray. He prefers to 'go' outside and the litter tray is a last resort, and his desire to 'go' is usually the trigger to his getting up time and he is very vocal when he wants me to open the door for him.

morddwyd 08:07 30 Oct 2013

I think you'll find farmers benefit, and there is also a benefit to the under 15 accident rate.

We would also, of course, be out of step with most of the Northern hemisphere (not in the time itself, but in the practice).

fourm member 08:13 30 Oct 2013

I'm sure the evidence shows that fewer people (especially young people as morddwyd points out) are killed or injured by dark afternoons than dark mornings.

That's mostly because people are more alert by the time they head home.

fourm member 10:15 30 Oct 2013

It would be interesting to know how much of the higher morning accident rate is because of there being more 'still drunk' drivers than there are 'liquid lunchers'.

Quickbeam 12:05 30 Oct 2013

"We would also, of course, be out of step with most of the Northern hemisphere" Well, we're already out of step politically with the rest of Europe, so I don't think that's too much of a problem.

"I think you'll find farmers benefit." The farmers benefit is mainly in having the benefit of BST in the summer months, as I said, we're only kidding ourselves.

"It was trialled before and was not a success and if it was trialled again we would probably have the same result." The child accident statistics based on the late '60s experiment (during which I attended schools in Dunfermline and Doncaster) are irrelevant in today's world where children are largely driven too and from school in nuke proof child transporters.

" ...I feel this need of 'boundaries'!!" There is no answer to that line of reasoning!

Aitchbee 12:50 30 Oct 2013

Does anyone actually benefit from this so called twice a year daylight saving farce?

Yes, I reckon that the bookies [up-and-down-the-land] are very glad to see ALL of the UK and Irish Horseracing meetings, begin one hour earlier than normal, this week. KERCHING!

Quickbeam 13:04 30 Oct 2013

"...ALL of the UK and Irish Horseracing meetings, begin one hour earlier than normal" That's because they have to finish one hour earlier because of the saved daylight that's lost in the afternoon...

We still have the same number of hours daylight HB, it's just a question where we would prefer it to be in the day!

Mr Mistoffelees 16:12 30 Oct 2013

Every year this argument gets trotted out, getting rather boring.

Aitchbee 16:15 30 Oct 2013

QB, my thinkin' is ... because of the earlier starts [ to all UK racing, ... it will be 12 noon, by next month], there is a significant increase in punters [footfall in bookmaker shops] during lunch-breaks, etc, typically the hour between 12 and 1pm. I've been there!

PS. In contrast to the bookies, I suspect all of the trainers, jockeys and stable staff ... and perhaps the horses themselves, are not so happy about 'turning up' much earlier-in-the-day at race meetings ... starting this week, as all of their travelling arrangements etc. will have changed somewhat, plus they have all got to get up even earlier in the morning!

oresome 16:58 30 Oct 2013

If it's of benefit to some and of no great inconvenience to me, I'm happy for it to remain as is.

I just wish all the devices displaying a time were automatic at best and easily changed at worst.

The cats are adjusting after several days. To begin with they were both staring at us from 21:00 hours as we settled to watch the TV for an hour. They're are used to their supper and bed at 22:00 and have an accurate in-built clock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?