Dangerous Dog Raids

hijo 12:33 10 Jan 2007

ok one thing i would like to know is what happens to the dogs...?are they sent somewhere else as in some kinda kennels to live out there life or are they "Put Down" as we call it,as theres no talk on whats going to happen to them...anyone have any idea...
H
click here

hijo 12:35 10 Jan 2007

please remember its not the dogs fault there innocent arnt they...but what else can we do with them if there not "Put Down"..??

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:18 10 Jan 2007

They are usually put down and rightly so. The dogs are illegal so they get the chop.

G

johndrew 15:26 10 Jan 2007

Whilst I agree that there are illegal breeds of dogs which are potentially dangerous, it is not the fault of the dogs that they are bred. Further, in many cases the animals are brutalised to make them (more) dangerous.

As a result I have sympathy for the animals concerned but little for their owners/breeders. Rather than automatically getting `the chop`, they could be assessed, and if safe, neutered and permitted to live their lives as `pets` in ownership of responsible people.

Perhaps those who involve themselves in illegal trades - regardless of whether dogs, drugs, weapons, etc., - should be subjected to `the chop`. In this way, hopefully, such situations as have caused this latest headline would themselves, eventually, become extinct.

spuds 16:41 10 Jan 2007

These dogs are 'vetted' under strict controlled procedures, which could result in their untimely death. In one particular case (as the Dangerous Dogs Act was being reviewed), a dog was quarantined for three years, before a final decision was made.In that particular case, I believe all the quarantine fees were met by the animals owner via an appeal procedure.

Not so much a danger, but more of a precaution and possible safety issue, some police or/and government forces dogs are put to sleep after their working life. Some police forces allow their dogs to go for adoption, either to the original handler or a member of public. In these cases the adopter is vetted, and certain requirements must be met.

PurplePenny 16:58 10 Jan 2007

I too have found myself worrying about the fate of these dogs. They are victims too. I don't think that they should be punished for the crimes, cruelty and stupidity of the humans that bred and raised them.

I don't think that they can go out into society but surely they could be kept in a pleasant home until the end of their days.

Kate B 17:07 10 Jan 2007

Oh, good grief. They're dogs, not victims. I know we anthropomorphise our pets (I do it, I'm guilty) but these are not cuddly family pets, they're killing machines. That's the fault of the owners, yes, but if they can't be rehabilitated then it's much safer for humans - who are more important, especially children - if these animals are put down. It's sad, I agree, but save your anger for the people who made them like that.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:31 10 Jan 2007

'They are victims too'...ridiculous, they are animals.

G

lisa02 18:30 10 Jan 2007

I'm love animals and couldn't see harm come to them but in relation to these dogs I have to agree with Kate B.

My priority is children not just my own but the safety of others aswell. The thoughts that another child could die in the jaws of one of these animals is more upsetting than putting the dogs down to me.

It's all done very humanely and painlessly anyway, it's not the animals fault it is what it is but there's no room in our society for them at all IMO. Blame the owners and breeders.

Bingalau 19:57 10 Jan 2007

Put the animals and their owners in a pit and don't feed either of them..... ..Bingalau..

johndrew 10:38 11 Jan 2007

`...they are animals`

So are we. Along with most life on this planet. The difference is that we are supposed to be of the `thinking` variety and are considered to have a `conscience`. Most other animals obey their instincts.

As an aside; all dogs and many other `animals` are potentially dangerous. It has been said the most dangerous of all is man.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017