Daewoo rents Madagascar.

Blackhat 18:14 20 Nov 2008

Could this be the start of the decline of dependency on the US for grain imports?

click here

‘Asian countries have been trying to ensure access to food supplies after grain prices soared earlier this year’

The oil rich Middle East is also looking into investment in Africa & Asia for food supply. If there were to be a significant shift in the global markets along this route the US economy would suffer, no doubt having a knock on effect for the likes of us.

I am inclined to think that in the long term these sorts of moves by nations on a wide scale will re-shape global economics for the better, with a bit of financial pain during adjustment.

Nibblerman 19:07 20 Nov 2008

That is quite serious for USA...good move for Africa..Just hope they get Fair TRade...as in the workers

laurie53 20:20 20 Nov 2008

Has the grain yield in such places as Russia and the Ukraine really collapsed to the level that makes such moves viable?

al's left peg 21:36 20 Nov 2008

Last year there were massiive areas of Russia put under the plough for the first time in 50 years or so. I believe there were European contract teams with ploughs and tractors sent over with task of planting thousands of hectres of land to grow grain for bio diesel.
I don't think it would be a serious problem for the USA. I would imagine the big USA players like Cargill will be right in amongst it if this happens.

Stuartli 09:40 21 Nov 2008

In fairness to the Americans, throughout the time of the Cold War and even later, it never attempted to diminish its supplies of wheat to the Russian people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone