Dad's Army to be made into new film

bremner 12:42 27 Apr 2014

Good idea or not ?

BBC Link

spuds 13:46 27 Apr 2014

I am a great follower of Dad's Army, especially the repeats that the BBC seem to have on Saturday evening's.

Whether a 'new version' will attract the audiences like the previous one did is another question, and perhaps whether younger people can relate to those past times is also another thing.

bumpkin 14:21 27 Apr 2014

Funny in it's time but outdated humour now for the younger ones who prefer garbage like Mrs Browns Boys.

bumpkin 14:23 27 Apr 2014

Funny in it's time but outdated humour now for the younger ones who prefer garbage like Mrs Browns Boys.

fourm member 15:28 27 Apr 2014

I read something recently about the size of the audience for any Dad's Army showing on the BBC.

That suggested there are still plenty of people who do find it funny.

Aitchbee 17:22 27 Apr 2014

" Bill Nighy would play Sergeant Wilson. "

Funnily enough, Bill Nighy played Sam Gamgee opposite John le Mesurier's Bilbo Baggins in the original BBC Radio 4's adaptation of The Lord Of The Rings.

I am looking forward to the new film as I'm a Dad's Army fan.

lotvic 18:25 27 Apr 2014

How do they come up with the figures for 'the size of the audience'?

I went to a Stage Play performance of 'Dad's Army' a few years ago, I didn't think it would be any good because of seeing it on tv with the 'proper' cast - glad to say I was wrong and thoroughly enjoyed it.

theDarkness 23:34 27 Apr 2014

Im not a big fan of either, but regarding bumpkins post, I've always found Mrs Browns Boys to be outdated in it's format, mainly due to that laugh track it relies on every 10 seconds. Filmed to a live audience, but where the audience didn't laugh, it's likely a cut and paste job. It's attraction to youth is mainly down to it's swearing and rude behaviour, unlike Dad's Army ;)

I suspect if they don't update the cast it will only attract previous watchers. How many from the last series are still going? Weekend tv is pretty bad nowadays that I tend to prefer watching the 80-90s repeats, but there isn't enough variety in what they decide to show, so it might be worthwhile.

Quickbeam 07:42 28 Apr 2014

I would've thought that after the Open All Hours non-event last Christmas, they wouldn't bother. Even the '70s big screen version of the TV series wasn't a patch on the weekly pantomime episodes that were looked forward to in their 30 minute slot.

In fact all the TV comedies that were put onto the big screen were incredibly lacklustre compared to the TV slot which knew that the 30 minute slot was the optimum time for a light hearted giggle show. On The Buses, Steptoe & Son were to name but two others that fell into the same race for greater fame, but fell before the finish.

fourm member 07:49 28 Apr 2014

lotvic

Because TV audience numbers are the way the commercial TV channels charge advertisers, the methods used to measure audiences are about as good as it gets in terms of surveying.

A lot of money changes hands based on who is watching what and the same methods are used for the BBC because, of course, the total audience is assessed.

lotvic 10:39 28 Apr 2014

I found the info I wanted The Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board (BARB) provides official viewing figures for UK television audiences. "In order to estimate viewing patterns across all TV households, a carefully selected panel of private homes is recruited. Each home on the panel represents, on average, about 5,000 TV homes." more info on how it's done: ClickHere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017