D-Day Anniversary insult to Queen?

jakimo 12:14 06 Jun 2009

the Queen is the only head of state alive to have actually served in the second world war,yet she was not invited to the D-Day remembrance day Anniversary.Apparently it was a last minute arrangement that prince Charles and Gordon Brown attended to represent the queen.

I have just watched a D-Day ceremony in France on Sky TV, the US & French presidents and their wives walked down a red carpet while the French & US anthems played,and their flags fluttered in the wind,no British flag or anthem in sight, as one commentator said you would never know that the Brits,Canadians,New Zealanders,or Australians played any part on the D-Day landing.

The Brits of course were having their own remembrance ceremonies elsewhere in France

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:20 06 Jun 2009

I thought that she had a prior engagement to gawp at and bet on the nags today?

G

jakimo 12:43 06 Jun 2009

I know its been said that she prefers the company of horses to people,but that does not excuse Sarkozy the courtesy sending her an invitation does it?

wee eddie 12:59 06 Jun 2009

If it appeared that anyone other than the Americans and the Germans were involved in the Second World War.

Of course the French had to be there as it was their Country over which most of the battles were fought.

Could I be wrong!

egapup 14:57 06 Jun 2009

The Yanks won the war and the French hate us....what's new.

johndrew 15:25 06 Jun 2009

On the assumption that this article is correct click here could it be that something in the past (or maybe his wife`s) affected his decision?

Forum Editor 18:33 06 Jun 2009

that the Queen hasn't wasted a millisecond worrying about the alleged snub. Journalists are the ones who decided it was a major insult.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 06 Jun 2009

Snub or not?

The people that really mattered were there.

Spoke to a few of them on Thursday night in the Hotel these were the people that 65 years ago landed on "Storm Beach" and were there this weekend to remember their colleagues that didn't make it.

I have the greatest respect for these men, because of them we have the freedom we so take for granted today.

laurie53 20:11 06 Jun 2009

"They could never beat us in a war"

Short memory.

Have you forgotten 1066 already?

Input Overload 08:47 07 Jun 2009

I wasn't invited either & I got over it.

egapup 10:31 07 Jun 2009

"D-Day Anniversary insult to Queen?"
An insult to England and all the dead young English men who fought to free Europe, if it wasn't for us it wouldn't have happened and we would all be speaking German.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?