Cyclists Highway Code...

Quickbeam 08:29 28 Jun 2008

click here It looks like the unwriten rules we were talking about recently will be taken up officially...

DANZIG 08:39 28 Jun 2008

I've just heard of that on the BBC news this morning as well.

Utter madness.

Cyclists pay absolutely nothing towards the upkeep of the highways they use and now its suggested that the rules of said highways shouldn't apply to them either.

Maybe if cyclists actually contributed something, rather than whining about absolutely everything, they might be taken seriously.

laurie53 08:46 28 Jun 2008

Yes, and while we're at it let's take children and the unemployed out out the NHS. They don't contribute anything either.

DANZIG 08:50 28 Jun 2008

However, children and the unemployed don't whine about how the NHS rules are biased out of their favour.

Bingalau 08:56 28 Jun 2008

I'm all for cyclists keeping off pavements. That also applies to motorists, especially heavy goods lorries who park on the pavements when unloading etc. They should be made to transfer the goods to lighter and smaller vehicles elsewhere and transport to their destinations without pavement grinding.

johndrew 10:34 28 Jun 2008

Whilst I recognise the Highway Code is not enshrined in law, it does reflect the Road Traffic Act and applies to ALL road users.

At traffic lights, both red and amber mean stop for all road users. If cyclists wish to pass through such a signal they should dismount and walk; if they ride through they should be stopped and given a £60 fine. After all a red light for road users often means a green for pedestrians who may well be crossing the road and being struck by a cycle can be fatal.

namtas 10:40 28 Jun 2008

DANZIG

Not sure what you are referring to as madness. Cyclist dont want to be on "the motorists" roads roads any more than horse riders want to be, or persons with invalid carriages want to be. Most dont want to ride on pavements either but all do want to get from A to B and stay alive. Cycling is a efficient sensible alternative way of travelling reasonable distances, without creating pollution of any sort. What is required is investment in proper segregated cyle tracks not strips of white paint on a road that pretend to be cycle ways and which end in no mans land at every junction. I think that this statistic from the CTC removes some of the urban myths

Pedestrians injured in London, in collision with cycles and pedestrians: 2001-05
Fatal Serious Slight Total
…in collision with a cycle: on foopath/verge 0 12 40 52
…in collision with a cycle: all locations 1 58 272 331
…in collision with a motor vehicle: on footpath/verge
17 387 1793 2197
…in collision with a motor vehicle: all locations
534 6913 27344 34791

octal 10:47 28 Jun 2008

"Another proposal is to allow them to ignore instructions to stop at red on a pedestrian crossing, as they say being allowed to cross some red lights is safer."

Oh yes? And what about the safety of the pedestrian? I've nearly been mown down on a few occasions because of cyclist going over the red at pedestrian crossings, I thought pedestrians had the right of way, is this going to change then? I'm damned sure giving them that right will give them license to go across the red with total disregard for pedestrians and if they mow you down tuff, you are in the wrong for crossing the road.

I used to be a cyclist so I do understand the problems, but it isn't a minority that constantly flout the law, it is the majority now a days.

I think the last statement sums it up:
"We do see cyclists just not obeying the rules of the road jumping red lights, one way streets, also we get motorists doing things that they shouldn't so maybe we need to clarify the rules for all."

What more clarification is needed, read the highway code, it's there for all road users, including pedestrians.

spuds 10:48 28 Jun 2008

A number of years ago, our local constabulary clamped down on some of the activities of the cycling fraternity. That brought a large scale protest and demonstrations of the lycra brigade.

It took a fellow cyclist and enthusiast (police inspector) to calm the situation down, with promises being made from both sides :O)

Mr Mistoffelees 11:35 28 Jun 2008

"Cyclists pay absolutely nothing towards the upkeep of the highways they use and now its suggested that the rules of said highways shouldn't apply to them either.

Maybe if cyclists actually contributed something, rather than whining about absolutely everything, they might be taken seriously."

Typical of the mindless nonsence non-cyclists spout time after time. Does you no credit DANZIG.

Most adult cyclists also have cars and pay the usual taxes and duty. Most adult non-cyclists used to have a bike and didn't complain about not paying taxes when they did.

As for the Cyclist's Touring Club suggesting it is safer to flout the law, I think they have completely lost it. Time for thier leadership to be voted out, that is not the way to represent cyclists and cycling issues.

spuds 12:06 28 Jun 2008

I like the idea of the London bicycle bobbies with the siren and blue light.Saw a television documentary a few months ago, and their bookings of offender cyclists, were a dream to see. Should be adopted in more locations of the country perhaps!.

Would mention in our location, the PCSO's are often caught cycling on the pavements. But then again, who wants a Juggernaut or similar craft in close proximity?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?