Cyclists

Jak_1 08:05 30 Sep 2006

Not motor cyclists but those on pushbikes. Should it be made a legal requirement for them to have a mirror fixed to the handlebar simmilar to motorcyclists. The number of pedalcyclists who just decide to turn right without looking behind first to check traffic behind them is phenominal. Also a large number of those who do look behind wobble about so much that they nearly end up colliding with you anyway!

Forum Editor 08:27 30 Sep 2006

is that it's unnecessary to burden cyclists with a mass of legislation relating to their use of the roads.

They (the cyclists) are considered to be vulnerable road users, in that the threat posed to others b a cyclist is far less than that posed by someone driving a ton or so of metal at 30 mph. It's considered that a motorist has a duty to look out for cyclists, although cyclists must obviously obey road-traffic laws. Lots of cyclists tend to be quite young, and legislators are aware of the problems associated with requiring youngsters to comply with all kinds of rules and regulations. For instance, it's the law that all new bikes must be fitted with a bell at the point of sale, but there's no legal requirement for it to remain on the bike, once it's on the road - you may legally remove it.

It's a legal requirement for motorists to avoid driving in special cycle lanes, and you can be prosecuted if you do it. Cyclists, on the other hand, are not legally required to ride in the lanes, even if they're there - they can ignore them if they like.

I take your point about the safety aspects of rear-view mirrors, and it could be said that if a rear-view mirror is a legal requirement on a motorcycle (and it is) it should also be fitted to a pedal-bike.

Jak_1 08:46 30 Sep 2006

The safety aspect is the thing that concerns me. It's all very well to put the onus on the vehicle driver but there is no accounting for the number of cyclists who think they are invincible and that a vehicle can stop on a sixpence! You can be a safe distance behind/passing a cyclist but that does not stop them turning into your path without warning. Given the thinking/braking and stopping distances and traffic behind you, this does not help. Having to anticipate what 'little Johnnie' is going to do next is not easy! It would be better if 'little Johnnie' could see what's behind him!

wolfie3000 09:31 30 Sep 2006

I find the idea of fillting mirrors on bikes a little silly,

Why not go the whole hog and fit indicators, seat belts, airbags and windsheilds.

I cycle a few times on the roads and use common sense when in traffic thats all cyclists need.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:44 30 Sep 2006

As a highly experienced cyclist and ex-racing cyclist, I agree with wolfie3000. Cyclists like me by and large do ride in a safe manner and respect the rules of the road but, the behaviour of the majority of other cyclists is woeful at best. It is not just kids, it is adults as well who just ignore the law and basic respect for their own, and others, safety. I have had enough of these idiots getting me tarred with the same brush but the police won't clamp down on them.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:48 30 Sep 2006

"Having to anticipate what 'little Johnnie' is going to do next is not easy! It would be better if 'little Johnnie' could see what's behind him!"

Do you seriously think "little Johnnie" is going to take the trouble to ensure a mirror is correctly adjusted and actually use it? I don't think so.

Jak_1 09:55 30 Sep 2006

Mr Mistoffelees

It's not people like you who worry me, it's the kids and brain dead adults who seem to think that vehicle drivers can read their minds! They only realise they can't when lying on a mortuary slab!

wolfie3000 09:59 30 Sep 2006

jak_1

Maybe if they had a cycling test this would solve the problem.

I would happely take a cycling test of some sort to prove im safe on the roads.

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:12 30 Sep 2006

When driving a vehicle and you observe a cyclist does it not occur to you that they might do something (regarded by those very safe and curteous car drivers who are faultless)a bit silly. Therefore could you not apply a bit of caution until they are well out of range. However I do sympathise with you as there seems to be no anticipation or reading of road conditions by anyone driving these days, its foot down, middle of the road, no giving way come rain or shine.

Forum Editor 10:15 30 Sep 2006

is eventually going to be the way to go. I live in London, and a lot of my work's done here - I regularly travel into the city centre, and I'm astonished at how many cyclists there are now, compared to say, ten years ago. They're there because cycling is quick, cheap, and a way to avoid traffic congestion or being crammed into an underground train, and there's nothing wrong with that, but....... some of them haven't a clue how to behave in traffic.

A compulsory test would help a great deal, and cyclists could be compelled to display a licence disk. There would be opposition on the grounds of costs, administrative difficulties, etc., and because of that n government is going to be that keen on the idea, especially as there's no revenue stream to the exchequer from cyclists - but it could be done.

Jak_1 10:22 30 Sep 2006

I treat cyclists as I do other road users 'complete idiots' and try to anticipate and keep safe distances but that is not a 100% garuante I will anticipate correctly. Fortunately I do have a good peripheral vision.
I have also ound that sometime when I do see a cyclist turn into my path without looking a blast on the horn makes them wobble even more, not good. If I miss them then there is a good chance that the vehicle in the outside lane wont!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017