Cycling Proficiency

laurie53 08:30 06 May 2009

More H&S gone mad

click here

However, I how many of the same newspapers (it's not just the Telegraph) would have blazed about unqualified cyclists setting a bad example if the photo shoot had gone ahead.

J B 09:56 06 May 2009

I have just read the article and I have to say that the PC in question should be in a different job that requires no health and safety requirements such as sitting on a lounge chair. Oops, I forgot, it had better be in the shade and the PC should be wearing a suit of armour for extra protection. How stupid can a law be. J.B.

skeletal 11:01 06 May 2009

Dear oh dear. I hope this is not an attack on those vital people who selflessly man our sofas every day. There are junior sofa technicians, senior sofa inspection engineers, and managers in the Department of Sitting on Sofas.

It is really a hard job you know; appointments can be found in the Guardian with salaries up to £60k.

You have so many things to consider before sitting down. Obviously a full risk assessment must be made. Is the seat height and angle of the back to the seat correct (could give rise to back and neck injury)? The colour (could give you a headache)? The material and filling (fire resistance, durability and harbouring of MRSA)?

I hope all forum members give careful consideration to, at least, the following Standards, before considering sitting down:

BS 5852:2006 Methods of test for assessment of the ignitability of upholstered seating by smouldering and flaming ignition sources
BS EN 1021-1:2006 Furniture. Assessment of the ignitability of upholstered furniture. Ignition source smouldering cigarette
06/30145366 DC EN ISO 26081. Leather. Physical and mechanical tests. Determination of soiling for domestic and contract upholstery leather
BS EN 13336:2004 Leather. Upholstery leather characteristics. Guide for selection of leather for furniture
BS 2543:2004 Upholstery fabrics for end use applications. Classification
DD ENV 14443:2004 Domestic furniture. Seating. Test methods for the determination of durability of upholstery
BS EN 13854:2003 Manufactured articles solely filled with feather and down. Requirements for upholstered parts and cushions

Skeletal

wiz-king 11:10 06 May 2009

Can you still buy furniture flocked with feathers? What about horse hair - you missed that one! 8-)

skeletal 11:24 06 May 2009

wiz-king: Oh the shame. You see how hard it is. This is why I don’t earn £60k at the Department of Sitting on Sofas!

Skeletal

Clapton is God 12:07 06 May 2009

How do I stand with regard to Elf n Safety whilst using the PC keyboard to type in this Forum?

Should I look up the rules on RSI or deep vein thrombosis?

Jim Thing 12:29 06 May 2009

He would also need to have a Sitting Safely On Lounge Chairs Proficiency Certificate.

namtas 19:37 06 May 2009

I suspect that this has more to do with litigation protection than a H & S issue.

oresome 17:59 07 May 2009

Further to this story, one police force, Northumbria, are getting rid of all their motorcycles on H&S grounds.

The officers will eventually be wrapped in cotton wool until the end of the shift.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone