Cycleways ~ Is the any point in them ~ if

wee eddie 13:17 01 Oct 2009

they cease just before a Hazard Point in the Cyclist/Motorist interface?

It seems that almost all local Cycleways are not continuous. In other words, Roundabouts, Road Junctions and sharp Bends are not covered and there is "usually" a small sign saying that the Cycleway ceases about 10 yards before the Hazard.

The reason for this posting:

I use my cycle as a everyday mode of transport and am not a Recreational Cyclist, so I rarely use the Cycleways.

It's a lovely day here in Ayr and I have just seen a group of Norwegian/Swedish Cyclists almost wiped out, on a sharp bend, because the designated Cycleway was suddenly dropped and I could not see any sign warning of it's demise.

Quickbeam 13:23 01 Oct 2009

The problem you're pin pointed is that they were added ad hoc to existing road layouts, and old junctions don't have the room to incorporate them.

New road systems tend to allow for the cyclist to use the road junctions with there own sets of traffic lights and lanes. So I don't think anything will change very quickly because of the costs involved.

wee eddie 13:34 01 Oct 2009

A Cycleway that puts the unwary Cyclist into danger is better not there at all.

sunnystaines 13:34 01 Oct 2009

we have a nice towpath in staines where cycling was banned a few years ago some numpty at the council made it a cycle route. This lovely walk along the riverside now spoilt by cyclist racing up and down.

also a cycle path painted on the foothpaths on our bridge another danger spot for pedestrians now.

I am in favour of cycle paths but common sense is needed to keep then off footpaths and dangerous locations.

Scillonia 13:51 01 Oct 2009

Cycle lanes in this country are a joke. We have a lot to learn from Europe on there construction, positioning and use, pavements are not much better.

John B 17:22 01 Oct 2009
  Woolwell 17:38 01 Oct 2009

I would be happy if the cyclists actually used them instead of trying to dodge the rest of the traffic.

cream. 18:22 01 Oct 2009

"I would be happy if the cyclists actually used them instead of trying to dodge the rest of the traffic."

from a non cyclist's point of view. I mainly see cyclist's swerving in and out of the road to go round the cars half parked on the kerb and the rest of the car completley covering the cycle lane.

Woolwell 18:55 01 Oct 2009

Near where I live there are number of excellent cycle paths which take cyclists off the main A road/dual carriageway but the cyclists persist in using the main road including bus lanes. Buses have to pass them pulling out into the other lanes. These lanes are not dangerous simply not well used. I regularly see cyclists weaving in and out of traffic on a busy roundabout.

Agree that a sign stating that it ends soon would help.

Arthur Scrimshaw 19:44 01 Oct 2009

most days travelling to work, it runs alongside the A27 coast road and it's generally good, however there are a few problems. The greenery is seldom cut back which leads to ducking and diving to avoid branches, I have to cross it at one point without a bridge, just a gap in the central reservation and it can take ages to find a safe gap in the traffic, but worst of all is the moronic individuals who toss out empty beer bottles from their cars (seems worse after weekends) which means a constant dodging of broken glass!

morddwyd 19:50 01 Oct 2009

"I have just seen a group of Norwegian/Swedish Cyclists almost wiped out, "

On the mainland cycle paths continue as part of the major road and joining traffic has to give way.

The same even applies to pedestrians - they are "traffic" on the major road, and you will rarely see a pedestrian even check, let alone wait, for turning traffic at a junction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?